Porcupine Puffer Fish Skin Issue

retroreef2710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highlighted below but it looks like part of his skin is burned off if that makes sense.

I was away for vacation for over a week, and had someone feed and do a water change, and came back and it looks like our puffer fish is having this skin issue, he also looks like he has Brooklynella around his mouth and refused to eat last night for the first time in awhile. Anyone know what this might be? Also, do you think this will grow back and heal? I am thinking maybe a parasite? I am not sure.

All of the parameters of the water are perfect. there are corals and all other fish look great. Use RODI water and everything.

Inkedunnamed_LI.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I highlighted below but it looks like part of his skin is burned off if that makes sense.

I was away for vacation for over a week, and had someone feed and do a water change, and came back and it looks like our puffer fish is having this skin issue, he also looks like he has Brooklynella around his mouth and refused to eat last night for the first time in awhile. Anyone know what this might be? Also, do you think this will grow back and heal? I am thinking maybe a parasite? I am not sure.

All of the parameters of the water are perfect. there are corals and all other fish look great. Use RODI water and everything.

Inkedunnamed_LI.jpg
Skin erosion and likely bacterial. Best treatment would be Kanaplex by seachem
Spiney box puffers are one of the more sensitive to water quality that I’ve seen
What is your ammonia and nitrate level and what test kits are you using?
What is age of tank?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

retroreef2710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skin erosion and likely bacterial. Best treatment would be Kanaplex by seachem
Spiney box puffers are one of the more sensitive to water quality that I’ve seen
What is your ammonia and nitrate level and what test kits are you using?
What is age of tank?
I was about to treat with Prazipro because I was thinking it was a parasite or something... I am going to test the water parameters again just to double check it, but they all came back clean. The tank is a year and a half old, maybe 2? Never really had too many issues in terms of spikes or ammonia, and I don't use any chemicals except maybe once or twice awhile back.

Also, do you think this heals / grows back once treated?

Upvote 0

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Inkedunnamed_LI.jpg

A full history would be helpful, as would a short video take under white light.

The circled lesion looks superficial, but the not feeding can be the sign of a more serious issue. I can't see the mouth clearly enough to hazard a guess as to what is going on there though....

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

retroreef2710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A full history would be helpful, as would a short video take under white light.

The circled lesion looks superficial, but the not feeding can be the sign of a more serious issue. I can't see the mouth clearly enough to hazard a guess as to what is going on there though....

Jay
Reposted with more info

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

retroreef2710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi ,definitely see spots on eye. the more info the better.

Reposted with more info

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back