Porcupine puffer help

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. My boyfriend fell in love with a baby porcupine puffer. Been with the shop 4 weeks. Very active and healthy by the look of him. Problem is I was talking to the store owner and 2-3 weeks ago someone went to buy him but he inflated in the bag after being caught and the bag sealed. He said that the puffer gulped a good bit of air. They didnt sell him and got him back in the tank. Owner says that he was looking not too good for about two days then bounced back and became super active and eating well again. I know this is horrible and can be lethal to puffers. We put him on hold for another week just to see how he is doing. I was wondering if he would be okay from that based on his behavior or if he would have major health issues from the incident?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. My boyfriend fell in love with a baby porcupine puffer. Been with the shop 4 weeks. Very active and healthy by the look of him. Problem is I was talking to the store owner and 2-3 weeks ago someone went to buy him but he inflated in the bag after being caught and the bag sealed. He said that the puffer gulped a good bit of air. They didnt sell him and got him back in the tank. Owner says that he was looking not too good for about two days then bounced back and became super active and eating well again. I know this is horrible and can be lethal to puffers. We put him on hold for another week just to see how he is doing. I was wondering if he would be okay from that based on his behavior or if he would have major health issues from the incident?
When these fish ingest air, it is more of an acute, immediate issue….the fish struggles at the surface, often upside down. If/when they expel that air, they are generally fine.
If the fish is not showing any symptoms (head down swimming, bubbles in its abdomen) it should be fine.
Of course, the same issue may come up when you go to buy it. Also, they are prone to ich and need to go through a comprehensive quarantine process.
Jay

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When these fish ingest air, it is more of an acute, immediate issue….the fish struggles at the surface, often upside down. If/when they expel that air, they are generally fine.
If the fish is not showing any symptoms (head down swimming, bubbles in its abdomen) it should be fine.
Of course, the same issue may come up when you go to buy it. Also, they are prone to ich and need to go through a comprehensive quarantine process.
Jay
Oh okay good to know. Would a paraguard round be good for him or a copper based medicine?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh okay good to know. Would a paraguard round be good for him or a copper based medicine?

Not all copper-based medications are equal. I've used Coppersafe multiple times with porcupine fish, even long term doses, with no issues at all. I would be more careful with ionic copper products.

Jay

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all copper-based medications are equal. I've used Coppersafe multiple times with porcupine fish, even long term doses, with no issues at all. I would be more careful with ionic copper products.

Jay
Okay Ive got paraguard, cupramine, and prazipro on hand. Any of those good? If not I dont mind going to LFS for something else

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay Ive got paraguard, cupramine, and prazipro on hand. Any of those good? If not I dont mind going to LFS for something else

Cupramine is an ionic copper, I prefer to not use those on sensitive fish. Can you get coppersafe or copper power?
Prazipro can then follow the copper treatment to cover flukes issues.

Jay

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cupramine is an ionic copper, I prefer to not use those on sensitive fish. Can you get coppersafe or copper power?
Prazipro can then follow the copper treatment to cover flukes issues.

Jay
Yes! What brands do you recommend?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
At My LFS, porcupines also inflated and deflated and ate same day with no effects therafter. Its a reaction rather than condition.
The product Jay mentioned is:

1688222886863.png

Recommended Hanna test kit:

1688222954943.png

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back