Porcupine Puffer Pacing

nnhchase

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 13, 2023
Messages
20
Reaction score
39
Location
United States
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there! So recently my parents got me a porcupine puffer for my birthday, and we have him in quarantine at the moment before he can go into our 215 gallon. However, I've noticed that he keeps 'pacing' the tank and is rubbing his lips on the walls which is ultimately hurting him (the scales in his lips have rubbed off). I'm trying to find things to keep his attention and keep him active but I'm finding it hard to find things that won't mess with the water quality (like getting him lots of inverts to hunt) or any fish safe toys. If anybody has any suggestions I would really appreciate the help.
 
This is a very common pufferfish behavior especially when bored or stressed. I recommend covering the back and possibly the sides of the tank to help prevent him seeing his reflection and adding stimulation in the environment. Such as spending more time with him, putting on the tv, etc. also get him into the big tank asap and watch for lesions from rubbing up against the glass.
 
Upvote 0

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 19 27.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 11.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new