Porcupine puffer tank size

Spookyclemente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been wanting to get a porkey puffer for a while. They seem to be the best puffer out there personality wise. I have a 125 gallon tank. I can’t seem to get a straight answer on what the right size for 1 would be.
The other day I was in a fish store and I saw an absolutely massive one. About a foot long by six inches wide. Is that just a freak of nature sized puffer or in this a normal size for them?

Also. They had a cheese fish or cow fish.
Are they a good idea as well? I don’t have any predators. More just peaceful fish. I do have a snowflake eel who is a super chill dude.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been wanting to get a porkey puffer for a while. They seem to be the best puffer out there personality wise. I have a 125 gallon tank. I can’t seem to get a straight answer on what the right size for 1 would be.
The other day I was in a fish store and I saw an absolutely massive one. About a foot long by six inches wide. Is that just a freak of nature sized puffer or in this a normal size for them?

Are they a good idea as well? I don’t have any predators. More just peaceful fish. I do have a snowflake eel who is a super chill dude.
Minimum recommended tank size that I've seen is 180 gallons; they have a reported maximum size of ~19.7" but they're typically smaller as I understand it (LiveAquaria lists a max size of 12", so I'd guess around there is probably a more common adult size).

For info on cowfish and boxfish see below - just realize most people struggle to keep them long-term:

OP
OP
S

Spookyclemente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Minimum recommended tank size that I've seen is 180 gallons; they have a reported maximum size of ~19.7" but they're typically smaller as I understand it (LiveAquaria lists a max size of 12", so I'd guess around there is probably a more common adult size).

For info on cowfish and boxfish see below - just realize most people struggle to keep them long-term:
Alright thank you for your help! I think I’ll pick the little guy up.
Just wondering what would be a good medication to put with him to make sure all is good for the first week of quarantine?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright thank you for your help! I think I’ll pick the little guy up.
Just wondering what would be a good medication to put with him to make sure all is good for the first week of quarantine?
If you're doing a full QT for ich/velvet and flukes, then I'd do a chelated copper treatment (Coppersafe or Copper Power), or if that makes you nervous with puffers then you can do hyposalinity instead - that would take care of the ich/velvet; for flukes, I'd do PraziPro.

Basically, I'd suggest following Jay Hemdal's current QT protocol and just check for any odd symptoms as you go throughout the QT:
And a link for Hyposalinity if you'd prefer that:

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not a freak of nature. Thats their adult size. I have a juv in a 125 right now, but working on getting my 300 gallon up and running of that tells you anything

Back