Porcupine puffer toxin... help

bigkamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our 9-10” porky puffer died I put it in the isolation tank to try to help him He didn’t make it... when I checked on him he already gassed up and floated to the top... I got water on me pumping out the water and removing him and I have cuts on my hands... water smells really bad... do I need to worry I know they are toxic... never thought I’d have to worry about this part... the water turned whitish... smells of death... it’s like his “spots” of color/ scale/skin peeled off... any info from a doctor or scientist... I know/see everything that’s on Google so I’m not looking for thoughts or theory or opinions... strictly scientific facts please my fingers have the tingle they talk about when eating them...

Last edited by a moderator:

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about 1. your situation 2. the fish. I would probably suggest you call the hospital, puffer toxin can be fatal. Tell them your situation, you keep tropical fish, how it happened. Definitely do play this off as if it were nothing.

joshharmony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our 9-10” porky puffer died I put it in the isolation tank to try to help him He didn’t make it... when I checked on him he already gassed up and floated to the top... I got water on me pumping out the water and removing him and I have cuts on my hands... water smells really bad... do I need to worry I know they are toxic af... never thought I’d have to worry about this part... the water turned whitish... smells of death... it’s like his “spots” of color/ scale/skin peeled off... any info from a doctor or scientist... I know/see everything that’s on Google so I’m not looking for thoughts or theory or opinions... strictly scientific facts please my fingers have the tingle they talk about when eating them...
Get a ride to the hospital just to be safe. Maybe bring some hot water in a bucket so you can soak your hands on the way so the toxins are diluted like a sting ray sting.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you what I know about puffer toxin but you don't seem interested in that so you just need to go to call the poison control center

OP
OP
bigkamp

bigkamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok the tingling stopped might have just been the salinity and a panic attack.... I’ve washed my hands several times it’s been almost half hour... no new symptoms... wow I was bugging out there the tingling wasn’t anything crazy but the first thing I thought of was all the sushi eaters... still ticked the fish store said no they are 100% safe! I knew they were wrong but just how completely full of it they were blew my mind 12,000 times more potent then cyanide this person told me it’s ok for my three year old to pet it too... like really! I hope they all get fired over there... I’ll up date again in a little while I seem fine we are stuck with a snow storm... anyone every eat one and get the tingles?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok the tingling stopped might have just been the salinity and a panic attack.... I’ve washed my hands several times it’s been almost half hour... no new symptoms... wow I was bugging out there the tingling wasn’t anything crazy but the first thing I thought of was all the sushi eaters... still ticked the fish store said no they are 100% safe! I knew they were wrong but just how completely full of ish they were blew my mind 12,000 times more potent then cyanide this ******* told me it’s ok for my three year old to pet it too... like really! I hope they all get fired over there... I’ll up date again in a little while I seem fine we are stuck with a snow storm... anyone every eat one and get the tingles?
It’s 100% safe unless you eat it.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok the tingling stopped might have just been the salinity and a panic attack.... I’ve washed my hands several times it’s been almost half hour... no new symptoms... wow I was bugging out there the tingling wasn’t anything crazy but the first thing I thought of was all the sushi eaters... still ticked the fish store said no they are 100% safe! I knew they were wrong but just how completely full of ish they were blew my mind 12,000 times more potent then cyanide this ******* told me it’s ok for my three year old to pet it too... like really! I hope they all get fired over there... I’ll up date again in a little while I seem fine we are stuck with a snow storm... anyone every eat one and get the tingles?
ya they are nontoxic unless eaten or heavily decomposed......

OP
OP
bigkamp

bigkamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I thing his insides popped as he was most likely dead when he went to isolation still twitching maybe was it... it could have been bad but I’m ok been over an hour no symptoms... I was mostly worried cause I’m always scratched and cut up def had a bit of a freak out been a ruff week and being trapped with the snow I just wanted to be sure or not if I had to call an ambulance... lol? ‍Been a ruff day...week...LIFE! Lol

Last edited:

joshharmony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I thing his insides popped as he was most likely dead when he went to isolation still twitching maybe was it... it could have been bad but I’m ok been over an hour no symptoms... I was mostly worried cause I’m always scratched and cut up def had a bit of a freak out been a ruff week and being trapped with the snow I just wanted to be sure or not if I had to call an ambulance... lol? ‍♂️ Been a ruff day...week...LIFE! Lol
Any day not in the hospital is a good day. Stoked to hear that your feeling better.

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and you werent wearing gloves because....

OP
OP
bigkamp

bigkamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Do gloves protect arms?
2) wasn’t in The water
3)who said I wasnt... and are they water proof???
4) did u read the post
5)I bet u run a Facebook group huh?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back