Porites vs. rainbow monti

  • Thread starter Thread starter KK's Reef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 13, 2021
Messages
1,249
Reaction score
1,144
Location
94589
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I place a porites frag on top of encrusted rainbow monti, will it eventually overgrow the monti? Or will they sting each other to a standstill?
 
i’ve seen pretty significant monti stings. i don’t usually hear about porites really
 
Porites can be quite aggressive especially to a monti. Based on my experience, monti generally lose to acropora, leptoseris, stylophora (those have mini sweepers) and recently I found out porites as well. However, monti makes up for it for being extremely resilient and fast growing. My porites that isnt even touching my monti has been stinging it to recession but the sting isnt potent enough to cause a major recession so its very localised. Which means porites and perhaps some sps can be used as guardian corals, keeping certain corals in check. Like what I use my stylophoras in keeping my palythoas in check.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new