Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, had the good camera out, so I snapped a few quick shots:

Full tank shot

The stand isn't that red, I set the WB for the tank. I think I have another image with a more accurate stand color later.

These are the paly's from the club meeting. Not sure what they are, but they are brown, and uh not going to stick around long.

First Chalice in the tank! This one is from Bob, not sure if it is named or not, but the color is RED!

Super Green in this Frogspawn!

Sticky Punch? I got these from Dknuckles.

Raptors Peace Coral

Mexican Turbo!

3-4 Duncan Heads.

From the Right side.

Closer up to the Frogspawn.

From the left side.

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice update and great shots. :)

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like this tank a lot! I initially wasn't sure what I'd think about the choice in substrate color, but it's really quite nice. When it grows in and you have a bunch of sticks in there....it's going to be insane!

What are your thoughts on the light fixture thus far?

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Is it time to add some sticks yet? :wink:

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the clean look! seeing this makes me really want to hang my fixture. :bigsmile:

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice update and great shots. :)

Thanks Rev!

I really like this tank a lot! I initially wasn't sure what I'd think about the choice in substrate color, but it's really quite nice. When it grows in and you have a bunch of sticks in there....it's going to be insane!

What are your thoughts on the light fixture thus far?

Thanks! I like the gray sand/gravel a lot. The darker sand really moves your eye away from the typical brightest thing in your tank, the WHITE sand... As for the light, so far so good. You can see the "beam" in the pictures a lot more clearly then you can with your eye, but it is certainly not spread evenly over the tank. I think that is a good thing, and it is just what I ordered. ;)

Looks great! Is it time to add some sticks yet? :wink:

It is time for sticks! I'm hoping this weekend! :D :D :D

I really like the clean look! seeing this makes me really want to hang my fixture. :bigsmile:

Thanks Marv. I do like the look as well. It is nice to have a basement fish room/sump area, leaving the upstairs to be clear of most of the support items. The LED fixture really keeps light spill to a minimum as well. (Way less room light then the T5 fixture put out.)

As a minor update, I added 6 Nassarious Vibex snails today, and I started feeding some Hikari frozen brine last night. I am going to pick up some more frozen food tomorrow, as well as some Oyster feast to try and elicit a feeding response from the trumpets/duncans/chalice. :)

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good...cant wait to see it with some sticks. Are you going to be doing two part or calc reactor?

Thanks! First stage of Ca/alk will be a calk reactor, then once the colonies out grow what it can provide, I'll do 2 part... then on to a Ca reactor. That is what I did last time, and it worked out pretty well.

Looks great. I love how clean it all looks.

Thank you! That was the intention from the start. ;)

Small update, the first two acros are in the tank. A blue tipped slimer, and a Wayne's Reef rainbow. I'll take a couple pictures once the lights come on. :D :p

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! First stage of Ca/alk will be a calk reactor, then once the colonies out grow what it can provide, I'll do 2 part... then on to a Ca reactor. That is what I did last time, and it worked out pretty well.
you will probably be able to use the kalk reactor for a lot shorter before your demand gets to high, now that you are using leds and evap will be minimal. ;)

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for an update.

Looking back at these posts, a LOT has changed since my last post on the 28th. My life turned upside down, and backwards, and sideways... I owe a huge debt to the team here at R2R, as you guys and gals have been a huge support to me.

A day after my post, my wife asked for a divorce. I hit me like a ton of bricks, I was completely unprepared for such news.

I am typing this update from my new apartment, a mere 3 miles from the townhouse, but what feels like LIGHTYEARS away from where I was on Oct 28th. The tank is here with me, up and running, but not 'scaped. All the fish made the move fine, the corals did OK, I lost one of my 2 SPS, but the weeds made it fine. The stand has been modified to accept the smaller of the 2 sumps. I managed to get all but 1 rock back in the sump for filtration purposes.

Time will tell what happens with the rest of the corals, but I think they will be fine.

Here is a new view of the tank from my spot on the couch:

The rock is as it went in from the buckets.

I had prepared about 80 gallons of Reef Crystals before moving the tank, and ended up not using much old tank water at all. Originally I had planned to use the larger of my 2 sumps, but the return pump would have not fit in the stand.

The last piece of equipment I have to set up is the ATO, not real sure how I am going to do that yet.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey man, hoping things are getting better. I'm sure the tank is not the top priority atm but good to see it up and running.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to see an update man, I know things are different but it all happens for a reason, there's great things ahead.

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank is looking nice in its new place. sorry about the life troubles. be careful not too cook that food on top of the light...lol

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I had a BRIGHT idea the other day, and decided it was worth a shot, worst case if it didn't work, I would be out basically nothing.... I have a need to add Ca/Alk to the tank, and with funds being short, DIY is the only way to go. I have been keeping my eye out for the 5 gallon buckets of "Driveway Heat" but have not come across any, and I have a 3lb bag of Baking Soda around here somewhere. So... Any guesses?

I know, an empty gatorade bottle...

Epoxy? A paper plate? WHAT!?!?

This will NOT keep the gatorade in anymore....

Are those 1/4" tubing couplers? On top of a GatorAid Bottle? Yes, yes they are!!

Hmmm.... What could that be?

PRESTO CHANGO!!! KALK REACTOR!

$10 worth of plumbing parts, some of which I already had, and about 30 minutes later. (Okay a couple hours to make sure the epoxy was good and dry.)

I have a 5 gallon bucket full of Lime, so I am "in there like swimwear" on that. I know this is a bandaid, and I will DIY up a real nice one as I get my life back on track. I am thinking of a dual chamber DIY, Kalk reactor on one side, with a CaRx on the other.... a couple small chambers, 4" square buy 12" tall would fit in my stand nicely.

I hope you enjoy the update, it was a fun afternoon project. ;)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
HAHA that's cool man and the tank view is nice!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love it man!

Back