OP
twilliard

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's after a few hours just sitting in saltwater in the dark....it had been exposed to air for 2 or 3 minutes while I decided to find a cup to put it in for the experiment. I never made it to the H2O2 and this is how I found it when I came back to get a new chunk of cyano to start with.

"Test complete" even though I didn't really do a thing.

Any thoughts? Still a valid test of cyano type?
That is so odd!
I have never had standing cyanobacteria enter cell degeneration. As a matter of fact I don't even aerate the water of my test beakers so I doubt that is from low O2. hm that is a thinker!

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is so odd!
I have never had standing cyanobacteria enter cell degeneration. As a matter of fact I don't even aerate the water of my test beakers so I doubt that is from low O2. hm that is a thinker!

I still have whatever it is I posted pictures of, and it also turns the saltwater pink without adding H202.

Happy to send you a sample if you want it lol

I syphon it out when ever I get a chance. It also forms mats on the sand/rocks/walls/frag rack and I use a brush to pull those out. I put the clumps of it in a plastic cup and that is how I found out it tints the water.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else see "2-3 CRAZY market today Big $$" below that Einstein avatar?

????

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is so odd!
Whenever I get cyanobacteria, about 2x per year it turns the water pink on its own too. So this might not be cyanobacteria? Chemiclean takes care of it in a day so I'm not concerned, mainly curious :)

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is spirulina caused by high nutrients? I tested my red slime and it didnt change color or tint the water. I tried chemiclean but it didnt work, ( i didnt double the dosage) I would love to get rid of it, getting patches on my sand bed and some on my rock work.
thanks
Jeff

CJBuckeyes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@twilliard Thanks helping to positively ID my sample for dinos two months back. I zapped it with bleach and three days darkness and it was gone.

Fast forward to last week, I walked by my tank and saw the same rusty orange/brown mat emerging on my sand bed. I pulled the fish and repeat the bleach and lights out. I was surprised when I got home from work after the first day with lights on, post treatment, and the rusty orange spot was about 10x the size. Swear words ensued. In hindsight, although the two outbreaks were the same color there was one difference: The dinos started in the shadows, and this one is flourishing dead center in the brightest spot in the tank. I took some new samples and tested them with H202 and chemiclean. Nothing turned pink. The chemiclean sample collected a brown/green mat that you can see crawling up the side of the container. The H2O2 sample is relatively clean, white sand. Any sense you can make of this?

fullsizeoutput_229d.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_229a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_229b.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_229c.jpeg

malira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here is mine. I thought it was not cyano but it looks to fading and bleeding pink.

553b1b787e99e1fef012aec6dbd7daed.jpg

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A plague of red stuff and Dino occurred after vibrant, did the twillard test, tuned pink, boom 14 days of h2o2, success marginal, tested at day 10 and still came up positive for cyano. Hit it wis chemiclean all gone. Thought there was a chance of both spiraling and cyano but was thinking cyano was majority. Did the 1.5x of chemiclean for 2.5 days still clean after 4 days. Always be prepared to make a change if results are marginal after treatment time.

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, Ive had what I thought is Cyano. No microscope (yet). Anyway I've done the test @twilliard gave. I placed a sample of the red mat in a cup of tank water, then dosed 1ml of H202. The water did not turn pink at all, but the sample did turn green/white.

Does that means its Cyano? assuming since the H2O2 effected the small sample it would do the same on a large scale on my tank. So far its been over a week and no real change. Dosing 30ml on a system with about 285 total volume or so.

Roberto CRC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I have a problem with cyano / spirulina.

1 day ago I started to add H2O2, after reading a topic of @twilliard , today I find this topic to know how to differentiate one from another.

Today I fixed the test to place it in a cup and see if it is affected after adding h2o2, but I have a doubt in case the result is Spirulina since last week before knowing about h2o2, I bought in my LFS the Red Slime Remover product of the brand Ultralife, however after doing two doses I did not have positive results.

But that is the question I have, here recommend using Chemiclean, is it the same as the Red Slime Remover from Ultralife that you already use? Or are two products with different effects?

upload_2017-3-31_17-13-12.png
upload_2017-3-31_17-13-53.png

Roberto CRC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

I have a problem with cyano / spirulina.

1 day ago I started to add H2O2, after reading a topic of @twilliard , today I find this topic to know how to differentiate one from another.

Today I fixed the test to place it in a cup and see if it is affected after adding h2o2, but I have a doubt in case the result is Spirulina since last week before knowing about h2o2, I bought in my LFS the Red Slime Remover product of the brand Ultralife, however after doing two doses I did not have positive results.

But that is the question I have, here recommend using Chemiclean, is it the same as the Red Slime Remover from Ultralife that you already use? Or are two products with different effects?

upload_2017-3-31_17-13-12.png
upload_2017-3-31_17-13-53.png

Hi friends,
No one has the information that can help me if the products I uploaded in photos have the same effect on spirulina?

It's that I live in Costa Rica and only get the UltraLife Red Slime Remover, if I want to buy the Chemiclean I have to buy it in the USA and it takes almost 15 days to arrive.

I appreciate the help they can give me.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know, the formulas for neither one are public. However, I would guess they are very similar if not the same.

Roberto CRC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know, the formulas for neither one are public. However, I would guess they are very similar if not the same.

Thanks, is that here as I say only sell the Ultra Life and this I used more than a week ago with no result.

But the h2o2 test with a sample of cyano / spirulina and tank water, did not result in fading the algae and dyeing the water.

So that's why I doubt, with different products, that attack different problems?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure the cyano test is very bulletproof so perhaps you have something different.

There's also a question of the product and dosage. It doesn't work 100% of the time for lots of folks even when they have what it treats.

Sometimes a product might have been old/expired or improperly stored (by your or along the supply chain) so that efficacy is reduced or eliminated.

Sometimes a second or third dose or a larger dose is required. (I think the Chemi Clean instructions might even suggest this eventuality.....been a while since I've looked tho.)

Contacting Ultralife might be a possibility too....they might even help troubleshoot and resolve any product issues with you.

Roberto CRC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure the cyano test is very bulletproof so perhaps you have something different.

There's also a question of the product and dosage. It doesn't work 100% of the time for lots of folks even when they have what it treats.

Sometimes a product might have been old/expired or improperly stored (by your or along the supply chain) so that efficacy is reduced or eliminated.

Sometimes a second or third dose or a larger dose is required. (I think the Chemi Clean instructions might even suggest this eventuality.....been a while since I've looked tho.)

Contacting Ultralife might be a possibility too....they might even help troubleshoot and resolve any product issues with you.

Thank you, I will contact both companies for some additional information.

NickK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see anywhere how long to wait on the spirulina/cyno test. So, I took a piece of red slime from the bottom of my tank and ran the test as directed. The slime started to bleed pink after a couple hours and after 8 hours the test cup was obviously pink.

So, let the test sit for a while before you make your conclusion.

I've started the Hydrogen Peroxide treatment on my tank and I see a difference after 12 hours already. Thanks Twilliard for this!!!! I've been dealing with red slime on the bottom of my tank for years. I've tried Ultralife Red Slime Stain Remover with no to marginal success and I have been increasing flow and running GFO and Carbon and this stuff keeps growing. It's so ugly!!! Hopefully I can beat it now.

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My test showed as spirulina so I treated with chemiclean at double the recommended rate. It took out the red slime and put a major hurting on my sps. Experienced stn on quite a few of my corals. Corals are just now starting to turn around after about 3 months and guess what, the red slime is back. I maintain a fairly clean tank so I will just be dealing with the slime. No more chemiclean for me ever.
Jeff

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back