Possible 90G reef build

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are debating wether to go and build out a 90g (Maybe 120g) mixed reef tank. If we did this we would get rid of the 40g cube AIO we have and move everything over. the equipment that would be recycled would be the auto top off, eco tech MP10 and the Radion xr15 blue.

what would you go with for the setup if you just got the tank and stand from the LFS. Not sure if ordering a tank/stand is worth it with shipping. But maybe an option.

Band of sump( with built in fudge area), skimmer, return pump, heater, in tank flow. Would need add another light if I could find a xr15 blue G5 to match the one I have. Or I need complete new lights. what other basic automation? I have a RO/DI that I hook up in the bathroom when I make water for the tank. Reactors if needed down the road but not initially. additional live rock, sand would be needed as well.

would like to have this tank as silent as possible as it’s in the TV room. How would I set this all up to be rock solid? best plumbing ideas, etc

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 90gal from Glass cages built a few years ago that I’m finally setting up now. My only regret was not going 125. Everything including the stand is all custom so I’m stuck with this tank. The only difference in dimensions is a few more inches in depth. I’d go 120/125 for sure.

I decided to go for broke with mine. I got a Trigger Systems Platinum 34 sump because it has the built in fleece roller, tons of room for a big skimmer (Reef Octopus Classic 150 INT replaced pump with VarioS 2S). Its big but I’ve got enough room for a 5gal trigger systems ATO reservoir.

I also hard plumbed everything with schedule 80 because I dig the way it looks. I’ve got a 1.5” primary drain with a gate valve, 1” backup drain, and 1” return line. Every drain or return line has a union for quick disconnect/repair.

When I had the tank built I had them put in a custom overflow so I could have everything plumbed through the bottom. The return line is through the top back in case the bulkhead fails. If the drain bulkheads fail the only water that I’ll lose is from the overflow. It’ll not be fun but not catastrophic and most will fall into the sump. I’m setting up a full hydros control system with leak detectors everywhere. I’m also using a hydros Wave Engine to power all my pumps/power heads. Also can’t forget the check valve on the return line to prevent back flow if the return pump fails. I’d like to have dual return pumps eventually.

I was never in the Navy (I was a Boy Scout though) but I know they have a saying, “One is none and two is one.”

Billy

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reef_puck

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also would like to get some ideas for power cables mgmt. can all of this be in the stand safely? Power voters from 2 lights, in tank flow pumps, return pump, slimmer pump, fuge light, heater, and eventually probes, etc

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also would like to get some ideas for power cables mgmt. can all of this be in the stand safely? Power voters from 2 lights, in tank flow pumps, return pump, slimmer pump, fuge light, heater, and eventually probes, etc
I’m an AV Engineer by trade so cable management it always at the forefront of my planning. That’s why I went with the Hydros Wave Engine. All of my pumps get power from that. It is one single point of failure though but so far the reports show that it is reliable. I will keep the individual power adapters on standby and labeled just in case.

OP
OP
Reef_puck

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more we look into this the 90 May fit better. Any other ideas in equipment?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the equipment that would be recycled would be the auto top off, eco tech MP10 and the Radion xr15 blue.
The ATO and Radion can be used. It's pretty likely the new tank will have too thick of glass for an MP10.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 90 runs well on a Trigger Systems Ruby 36 sump and a kind of flaky Bubble Magnus Curve 7 Skimmer. I have a rock and sand in the first bay of the sump and more rock and the skimmer in the second bay. I use filter socks sometimes, but mostly don't use any mechanical filtration.

OP
OP
Reef_puck

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As we are still shopping and trying To figure a place to buy the tank and how to set it up.

the basic Aqueon Stand looks cheaply made and and looking for other options plus maybe a taller stand for room to work on the equipment in the stand. May want a canopy as well to hide the lights But not 100% on that.

trying to figure out the plumbing and how to make it quiet. Can’t get a straight answer out of the LFS’s. Let alone $1000 for them to come out and install the tank.

also with a larger tank how to do water changes. Currently The ro/di I hook up in my shower when I need water and fill 5 gallon jugs. in the shower when I forget the water is on and the jugs overfill. I use a small 10g brute trash can next to the talk to mix the saltwater. The 90g probably needs 25-30gallons for a water change. I really don’t want a trash can that size in the living room and 5 gallon jug transfers will take a few days to make up. The utility room in my house is not setup with space to house water tanks let alone how would I get the water to the tank.

haleyw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar RO/DI setup and no real dedicated place to mix water other than right next to the tank. I recently started the process of upgrading to an 86g from a 24g AIO and ended up going with a rubbermaid tote to mix new saltwater instead of a trash can. It seems easier for me to find a place to stash a tote when it is not in use as opposed to a trash can, with the added benefit of being a good place to store the extra equipment I use for water changes as well. So far, this has worked well for me, although I've only been running the new setup for a few weeks.

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As we are still shopping and trying To figure a place to buy the tank and how to set it up.

the basic Aqueon Stand looks cheaply made and and looking for other options plus maybe a taller stand for room to work on the equipment in the stand. May want a canopy as well to hide the lights But not 100% on that.

trying to figure out the plumbing and how to make it quiet. Can’t get a straight answer out of the LFS’s. Let alone $1000 for them to come out and install the tank.

also with a larger tank how to do water changes. Currently The ro/di I hook up in my shower when I need water and fill 5 gallon jugs. in the shower when I forget the water is on and the jugs overfill. I use a small 10g brute trash can next to the talk to mix the saltwater. The 90g probably needs 25-30gallons for a water change. I really don’t want a trash can that size in the living room and 5 gallon jug transfers will take a few days to make up. The utility room in my house is not setup with space to house water tanks let alone how would I get the water to the tank.
To be honest if you can maintain a 90gal tank you are more than capable of setting it up and plumbing it. It’s a lot to do but not difficult and you will gain a sense of pride from performing the work. $1000 seems crazy to me.

OP
OP
Reef_puck

Reef_puck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s more about getting it right. I had tanks years ago and never got the tank quiet. Always heard the overflow. Would I use rigid plumbing, elbows, 45’s valves, etc. the 1000 included delivery, leveling, plumbing. If I tried it myself still need to have it delivered as we can’t lift that tank weight.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back