Possible abscess on maroon clown

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone could help me with a possible treatment for my maroon clown, she appears to have an abscess on her face that has been present for 3 or 4 days and has gotten larger each day. Tank info and parameters are:

55 gallon tank (with a 32 gallon tank both piped to a common 20 gallon sump)
18w uv sterilizer
Salinity 1.025
Ph 8.2
Nitrates 0 (according to api test kit)
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Tank has been setup for about 1 year and all the other fish are doing very well.

Thanks for your help and let me know if you need anything else to help me out

20190218_170927.jpg

20190218_170914.jpg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might sound like a strange question... but, does it look like it has eyes? There is a kind of isopod that usually lives in the mouth of a fish, that's kind of what that reminds me of. But, I've never seen one coming through tissue like that. It could be a bacterial lesion, but looks a little "off" to me so I wonder if it might actually be some sort of parasite?

@HotRocks @Humblefish @Big G

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might sound like a strange question... but, does it look like it has eyes? There is a kind of isopod that usually lives in the mouth of a fish, that's kind of what that reminds me of. But, I've never seen one coming through tissue like that. It could be a bacterial lesion, but looks a little "off" to me so I wonder if it might actually be some sort of parasite?

@HotRocks @Humblefish @Big G

I took a closer look and I can't see anything resembling eyes

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking there is a good chance that she may have hurt herself because she is always trying to knock over corals and rocks. I had to super glue everything that's close to her anemone because she would throw stuff around every day

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, it could just have been the photo angle... it just looked like something was protruding out of it so I wanted to make sure. If you believe it's an injury, it might clear up on it's own with clean water and vitamin-enriched foods (soak in selcon or vita-chem or similar). My concern is that you said it looks to be getting worse/larger, in that case you might want to get a QT up and running and catch her to administer antibiotics.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, it could just have been the photo angle... it just looked like something was protruding out of it so I wanted to make sure. If you believe it's an injury, it might clear up on it's own with clean water and vitamin-enriched foods (soak in selcon or vita-chem or similar). My concern is that you said it looks to be getting worse/larger, in that case you might want to get a QT up and running and catch her to administer antibiotics.

It is getting bigger, here is the best shot I could get of her 2 days ago. It almost looks like it is protruding a bit now but it looks more like a huge zit than anything else. I would have to go buy another tank to set up as a qt if I went that route, I don't mind spending more on treatments for the whole tank instead of setting up a qt if there is something you could recommend that would be safe for my corals and inverts. The only thing I have on hand is prazi pro, anything else I'd probably have to order online.

20190216_093937.jpg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try binding kanaplex/metroplex to food using seachem focus and feeding it to her. But, the most effective treatment for external infections is dosing antibiotics directly to the water column in QT.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try binding kanaplex/metroplex to food using seachem focus and feeding it to her. But, the most effective treatment for external infections is dosing antibiotics directly to the water column in QT.

I really appreciate your help with this, based on your recommendation I'll go ahead with the qt tank and go buy what I need tomorrow. The only store close to me is a petco so I'll probably pick up a 20 gallon tank and some of the "live rock" they sell. What would you suggest I use for antibiotics?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IF they have them, my first choice would be kanaplex and metroplex. Furan-2 can be added in as well to broaden the spectrum. Alternatively, API Triple Sulpha since I know the petco's around me usually only carry API medications.

If they have it, you can give her a 90-minute bath in acriflavine prior to going into the QT as well. I use ruby reef rally, but API Fungus Cure contains it. I usually use a 5-gallon bucket with an airline/airstone and a small heater for this.

Good luck, let me know how she does!

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IF they have them, my first choice would be kanaplex and metroplex. Furan-2 can be added in as well to broaden the spectrum. Alternatively, API Triple Sulpha since I know the petco's around me usually only carry API medications.

If they have it, you can give her a 90-minute bath in acriflavine prior to going into the QT as well. I use ruby reef rally, but API Fungus Cure contains it. I usually use a 5-gallon bucket with an airline/airstone and a small heater for this.

Good luck, let me know how she does!

I'll definitely update you, I'll see what I can get there and hit up Amazon as a last resort. The petco near me is a small store so hopefully I can get at least one of the products you listed. Thank you so much for your time

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're very welcome!

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm at petco and the only thing they have is imagitarium bacterial infection remedy, it doesn't list the ingredients on the bottle and just says it's a herbal alternative. Would this even be worth trying?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not likely going to be of much help, I wouldn’t waste your money. Do you have a petsmart near you? Mine at least carries API products.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not likely going to be of much help, I wouldn’t waste your money. Do you have a petsmart near you? Mine at least carries API products.

There is a petsmart that's about 40 minutes from me, I will call them and see if they have any of the products you listed before I drive all the way there

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Microbe-lift is more for ammonia issues, melefix might help a bit... it’s another “natural” remedy, but isn’t an actual antibiotic.

OP
OP
Mjrenz

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Microbe-lift is more for ammonia issues, melefix might help a bit... it’s another “natural” remedy, but isn’t an actual antibiotic.

The petsmart didn't have any of the products either but I did find a small pet supply store that has the api triple sulfa and the api fungus cure. They're about 40 minutes away also so I'm going to head over there now

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The petsmart didn't have any of the products either but I did find a small pet supply store that has the api triple sulfa and the api fungus cure. They're about 40 minutes away also so I'm going to head over there now

I admire your dedication! What we do for our fishy pets...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back