Possible Banggai Aggression

Camaronero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening,
I am kind of panicking since I am not sure if this fish behavior/temperament is going to cause stress/death :(

Background: 8th month of running a 33 gallon waterbox bare bottom tank with ~25 pounds of dry rock and 1 bag of bio sphere in the sump area. 1 Banggai cardinal added on the 5th month after water quality gave me the green light. Currently the size of a quarter (including fins) and always hangs around middle/low water column on the right part of the tank.

Yesterday I celebrated a long fought victory and brought home a High Fin Perchlet (Plectranthias inermis) from my LFS that I had reserved for about a while now. When introduced, the Banggai swooped down near him (bite or not I’m not sure) and sent him running into a cave (left side of the rock structure)… Today the Perchlet has moved into a cave next door to yesterday’s location and the Banggai has decided that the left side of the tank is the new hangout spot and is swimming oddly close to the aquascape + is now swimming only in the lower water column and is nearly touching the glass with his bottom fins.

Please let me know if I might be overthinking or is there a possibility the Banggai is pressuring/bullying the perchlet to not wander around. Also I understand that some fish are territorial but isn’t the whole bottom/lower water column a bit odd for a cardinal?

Please let me know your thoughts/opinions, I hope everyone who reads this has a great rest of the day!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back