Possible blue chromis breeding

Tomb85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've noticed this morning that 2 of my 5 blue chromis have paired up and are hanging around an area of rockwork which is now covered in little white eggs. One of the chromis is guarding this area and chasing off any fish that goes near this area. I'll post some pictures and any feed back would be good.
Has anyone breed blue chromis before?

OP
OP
Tomb85

Tomb85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1614510662842869670399049498363.jpg
16145107670412636899027007808582.jpg

Upvote 0

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job. I don't remember if any of my Chromis spawned but my blue devils used to spawn every few weeks. This one is over his nest of eggs in a barnacle shell.
This was in 1972

Here are his eggs

I did keep some chromis, but don't remember much about them.

Your chromis are spawning because they are happy and healthy and they like you. :cool:

Upvote 0

psumms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they're on the easier end of the difficulty scale - but with all marine fish, that bar starts quite high and needs a lot of work - if your goal is financial then at the average price of Chromis you're looking at huge scale to turn a profit (Now if you were talking yellow tangs!). Once they start you'll see this every couple of weeks, watch out as they will be super territorial and aggressive for a couple of days but seemingly only to other chromis/damselfish, mine will quite happily let a butterfly or tang pick away! The eggs will hatch/disappear after 48 hours, bonus snacking for tank mates! I have six and black axil chromis and they've been in a constant cycle of egg laying for a couple of years. It's not the beautiful caring process of clownfish!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tomb85

Tomb85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed this is the second spawn the first happened 2 weeks ago. I'll try and raise them just for the fun of the hobby. From what I've read the raising of chromis fry are hard but now their spawning I'm sure I'll have plenty of attempts to get it right. Yellow tang spawn yes would be great to help the hobby and the impact on the wildlife but the money side of things isnt what I'm worried about as I'm in the hobby to enjoy it and learn.

Upvote 0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back