Possible case of Velvet. Help!

Dycofree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I come to you a bit discouraged and frustrated this morning. After FINALLY figuring out my stock and getting clowns that get along I was so content yesterday! I went out to dinner with my family and everything was completely normal before I left. My clown was swimming in a place that wasnt normal for him, but nothing crazy. When I got home 2 hours later, he was missing and I found him tucked under a tiny rock ledge on the sand gasping for air. He didnt make it through the night. I was baffled until I started researching and found the symptoms of velvet. Sensitivity to light, check. Lethargy, check. Heavy breathing, check. Dustyness on body, check. I examined the body carefully and it was definitely Velvet, not ich. I am moving my last fish (clown) to a QT tank and letting my tank sit Fallow for 6 weeks and just focusing on the coral. Any advice here? Anything special I need to do/know? I have, admittedly, rushed a bit with this tank in the last few weeks and think this fallow break will be good to keep things in perspective for me.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your loss :(

How are you going to treat the one in QT?

Are you sure it's velvet and not brook? Brook is very common in clownfish as well. They can be a bit tricky to diagnose.

OP
OP
Dycofree

Dycofree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your loss :(

How are you going to treat the one in QT?

Are you sure it's velvet and not brook? Brook is very common in clownfish as well. They can be a bit tricky to diagnose.

I am positive that it was Velvet. I havent looked fully into what Im going to do about the guy I have left. Is there anything special I need to know about going fallow? Ive read that I should feed the tank every 2-3 days to keep the bacteria alive and still feed coral as normal, thats it.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your experience sounds like mine. Lost seven fish in 48 hours. Velvet is a fast killer. About the time you figure out what it is, it’s too late. I wasn’t able to successfully treat any of mine. I know it can be done, but I didn’t catch it fast enough. I just wanted express how sorry I am for you. It really sucks. Good luck!

Elizabeth

OP
OP
Dycofree

Dycofree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your experience sounds like mine. Lost seven fish in 48 hours. Velvet is a fast killer. About the time you figure out what it is, it’s too late. I wasn’t able to successfully treat any of mine. I know it can be done, but I didn’t catch it fast enough. I just wanted express how sorry I am for you. It really sucks. Good luck!

Elizabeth

Thank you! I appreciate it. Good to know im not the only one. Cant help but feel like its my fault in some way. I shouldve slowed down and taken my time more. At least now I’ll be forced to do that. Cheers

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am positive that it was Velvet. I havent looked fully into what Im going to do about the guy I have left. Is there anything special I need to know about going fallow? Ive read that I should feed the tank every 2-3 days to keep the bacteria alive and still feed coral as normal, thats it.

Yes fallow is the easy part.

The remaining fish needs a 5min FW dip, then a 90 minute bath in acriflavine, then therapeutic copper or CP. Ramp the copper up over 48 hours.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I appreciate it. Good to know im not the only one. Cant help but feel like its my fault in some way. I shouldve slowed down and taken my time more. At least now I’ll be forced to do that. Cheers
Not your fault. I do recommend quarantine if you can. Better safe than sorry!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't believe speed is your problem. I'm guessing you didn't QT your fish before putting them into the DT? If so, the issue you have is impatience. But that's okay; we've all been there and have caved to the excitement of adding.

OP
OP
Dycofree

Dycofree

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe speed is your problem. I'm guessing you didn't QT your fish before putting them into the DT? If so, the issue you have is impatience. But that's okay; we've all been there and have caved to the excitement of adding.

Yes, you would be correct. Definitely need to calm my excitement over the next few months

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could consider dosing the QT with copper and metro. The copper for velvet and the metro for the possibility of Brook as @HotRocks suggested, they are difficult to tell apart. Suggest use of Copper Power as a reliable chelated copper. When using both copper and metro make sure to increase O2 with either airstone or powerhead aimed to the surface.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back