Possible Dino ID via microscope.

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, got what I believe is dinos. Left the tank for a week on vacation so couldn’t dose NH and what was a small patch seems to have gotten worse.

This is my kids microscope. So not the best quality (really need to get a good one).

I’m thinking Amphidinium.

C6BE25E7-4824-4110-BA4E-0D897E067F1A.jpeg

26C67915-77EE-4A9E-BDCD-233739D0DE73.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Righteous

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a recommendation... seems like 54W maybe 200gph for a 100g?
I have much different values from you. My tank is only 12 gallons with Eheim 1000 that is under the 300 GPH threshold of the 5watt UV that is on it.

My return pump is connected to a 90 degree elbow and diffuser and that pump is rated 268 gph so I do fall below the highest setting for the UV.

My tank is only 2 months new bit has virtually zero algae growing. I was shooting for dinos being controlled but not any control for parasites, I run too fast for that.

OP
OP
Righteous

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added carbon last night, filter sock... and temporary 9w UV till a bigger one comes in. Woke up to one of my Acros RTNing. Is this common with this type of Dino?

56E09E52-5BAA-47CB-A085-56BC47750057.jpeg

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not noticed dinos directly kill acros (that's not to say it doesn't happen though!). But they are competing with the acros and other organisms for nutrients and I think they are very efficient at it, so it's possible you are having low nutrients, or nutrient swings maybe?

OP
OP
Righteous

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always skirted with low nutrients. Given being away on vacation with an auto feeder for dry food only, and now this Dino taking off.. I think you’re right.

I was a little worried that blowing off the dinos on the rocks was a bad idea, but I figured they moved into the water column at night anyway so it wouldn’t matter. Maybe that’s not the best idea?

I’m running a filter sock at the moment when I blow stuff off.

Thanks again.

OP
OP
Righteous

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup... PO4 is now 0.04 and N03 is 0.1

I think what exacerbated it is being out of the house for a week the pH went up as CO2 went down.... I see a lot of growth in some stuff. Everything just sucked all the nutrients out

Perfect storm.

I’m slowly ramping N dosing back up and back to regular feeding. Anyone have experience on pushing PO4 and NO3 back up?

I tend to go slow with changes, but Dino is new to me. I don’t want it to get out of control.

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use NeoPhos and NeoNitro, I typically try to raise over a few days. I think your N is OK, but I would still watch both and measure after dosing. If it were me I would start with NeoPhos (or similar) until I hit 0.08, but I also keep my alk close to 8 so I think that is a little gentler with respect to PO4 than higher alk.

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do the prorocentrum dinos go in water ? from your guys experience

OP
OP
Righteous

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do the prorocentrum dinos go in water ? from your guys experience

I came across this guide which I found helpful. It says it will, but kind of needs some help.

Assuming mine is prorocentrum, it does go into the water to some degree. In the morning it is noticeably less on rocks and sand and returns throughout the day. I've also started giving it a help by blowing off rocks and sand at night which seems to be helping.

Back