Possible disease on angel

Andrewk5018

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never really seen anything like this on one of my fish fresh or salt. Can’t tell if it's some sort of disease, stress, or maybe this happens when they start to change?

Also dont mind my insane algae outbreak, its a newer tank and i was on 2 vacations 2 weeks in a row

IMG_4936.jpeg IMG_4934.jpeg IMG_4933.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'M sorry what are we looking at ? need more info, short video ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ive never really seen anything like this on one of my fish fresh or salt. Can’t tell if it's some sort of disease, stress, or maybe this happens when they start to change?

Also dont mind my insane algae outbreak, its a newer tank and i was on 2 vacations 2 weeks in a row

Need better pics- or rather closer pics under bright white lighting. Can be velvet which they are susceptible to, but need to confirm
On the algae- It will rot as its already dying and possible change chemistry of your water.
Seeing no coral on this rock, I would place it in a container of tank water and pull off as much as you can by hand and scrub the rest with a firm toothbrush and some 3% hydrogen peroxide.
Return to tank, reduce white light intensity and number of hours of white lighting and add some snails such as :
Astrea
cerith
turbo grazer
trochus

A Pencil urchin
8-10 Caribbean blue leg hermits

Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?
What is your phosphate level?
Is tank at or near a window?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Given the species of fish and the way it looks, I'm betting it has Neobenedenia skin flukes. Any cloudiness/milkiness to the eyes? I can't tell from the photos, but if it has that, then I would say 100% it is Neo.

So - how to treat it? the very best treatment is hyposalinity for 35 days - no invertebrates of course. You may run into an issue though in that the hair algae may die off, causing an ammonia spike. The other option would be Prazipro, dosed 3x, 8 days apart with good aeration. You can do that with invertebrates in the tank, but it is not as effective as hypo is.

Jay

OP
OP
A

Andrewk5018

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies, posting them here just killed the quality but its all the white spots. Also i have a blue spot puffer and a niger trigger in here so i’m pretty sure they’ll kill any invert i put in.

Attachments

• IMG_4942.png
    IMG_4942.png
    1 MB · Views: 19
OP
OP
A

Andrewk5018

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need better pics- or rather closer pics under bright white lighting. Can be velvet which they are susceptible to, but need to confirm
On the algae- It will rot as its already dying and possible change chemistry of your water.
Seeing no coral on this rock, I would place it in a container of tank water and pull off as much as you can by hand and scrub the rest with a firm toothbrush and some 3% hydrogen peroxide.
Return to tank, reduce white light intensity and number of hours of white lighting and add some snails such as :
Astrea
cerith
turbo grazer
trochus

A Pencil urchin
8-10 Caribbean blue leg hermits

Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?
What is your phosphate level?
Is tank at or near a window?
Rodi reading at 0 tds, no window, and phos is undetectable from the algae i assume

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Heres a good side shot
This helps and agree with Jay on Flukes. Neobenedenia appears as a mild haze to the eyes in some cases but hard to tell in pics. PraziPro does not always address neobenedenia but may with multiple applications. Typical treatment is
apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite

OP
OP
A

Andrewk5018

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its flukes should i just do hypo salinity? Tank stock is a blue spot puffer, niger trigger, small biota yellow tang, and some damsels

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
A

Andrewk5018

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the species of fish and the way it looks, I'm betting it has Neobenedenia skin flukes. Any cloudiness/milkiness to the eyes? I can't tell from the photos, but if it has that, then I would say 100% it is Neo.

So - how to treat it? the very best treatment is hyposalinity for 35 days - no invertebrates of course. You may run into an issue though in that the hair algae may die off, causing an ammonia spike. The other option would be Prazipro, dosed 3x, 8 days apart with good aeration. You can do that with invertebrates in the tank, but it is not as effective as hypo is.

Jay
I’m seeing 1.012 and 1.008 for hypo, what would you recommend and how fast should i get it there?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’m seeing 1.012 and 1.008 for hypo, what would you recommend and how fast should i get it there?
Hypo salinity is 1.009 and you can bring down salinity fairly quick, but very slow when raising it. Safest is to bail a 1/2 gallon and restore with half a gallon of RO water until you achieve desired level

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For Neobendenia, you only need to drop to a specific gravity of 1.012 If you have any worries about marine ich, Cryptocaryon, you could take it to 1.009, but that is more stressful on the fish.

Here is my post on hyposalinity:

Jay

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 66 44.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 21 14.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back