Possible Divorce Frag Build

Current State:

In process of tearing down all tanks and putting things in tanks in the house.

One tank down and one to go.

IMG_7678.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m glad it went to you bro.

I honest to god think tiny has grown more. lol
Tiny probably has grown more lol. He eats like a hog. Dude can eat 8 full size sheets of nori a day
(The 8x10 sheets you get for making sushi lol)

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s my problem too. I love the build. I personally would fill it full of Haddoni and mini maxis. Lol

I’m trying to find pics of your other setups.
I am horrible at updating things, but tying to keep this one up to date. Here is the 180. I have to dig out the pics of the other tanks. Old phone finally crapped out and haven’t pulled the pics from the cloud yet.

A75CA5AB-96F1-47AA-BE2E-30EB1F309381.jpeg

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woot. Is that a small Mertensii on the right side above the haddoni, below magnificas. And a gigantea above the large mertensii the middle? Awesomeness.

I read one of your old posts and you use an apex to give auto water changes to all your tanks. How do you get it to add salt water vs fresh water from auto tip off if your skimmer is pulling out 5 gals?

Are all your tanks plumbed in the same fish room which makes the auto water changes possible?

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woot. Is that a small Mertensii on the right side above the haddoni, below magnificas. And a gigantea above the large mertensii the middle? Awesomeness.

I read one of your old posts and you use an apex to give auto water changes to all your tanks. How do you get it to add salt water vs fresh water from auto tip off if your skimmer is pulling out 5 gals?

Are all your tanks plumbed in the same fish room which makes the auto water changes possible?
For the nems, left to right.

Pink and red merten behind purple tang (can’t see it, yellow merten about middle of tank, haddoni, then green merten (using the bathroom lol, and finally my ritts that split about every 6-7 months.

Well, the apex is now in a tub lol. AWC has stopped, as well. When I was doing it, it was all in the programming and very annoying,
especially with me skimming as wet as I was. I had to constantly monitor Sg as the probe sucked at staying accurate. When the probe was working, it was easy though, since the apex could check Sg and the coding determined if sw or fresh needed to be added. This was also plumbed into my fish room via hoses run in the crawl space or through the wall for the tank closest. Those hoses are still there and that is where the ato draws water from. I can also do manual water changes if needed using the same hoses, I just use Alexa enabled plugs now.

Currently all tanks are separate, except 2. They all use dosing for the big 3 and ATO for evap and that is it.

I am moving back to a KISS approach on things, and so far it is working. My last icp test on all tanks that aren’t nanos was perfect across the board, so happy there. Plus everything looks happier.

The fish room is about to get a downgrade as well. It will have 2 water storage containers and that’s it moving forward. I plan to move all of the equipment to the fish barn, since it is now plumbed into the house and then into that room.

We need the space, as the wife and I both work from home now and that doesn’t look like it will change, even after this C19 mess. Fine with me though lol.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And now an update.

Fish barn is going to consume the rest of my day.

I have to take down all of the stands, sort all of this crap, make a new stand for the totes, finish the plumbing from it to the house, move stand for the frag tank to the red circled area, then put totes in whatever stand I build in the green circled area.

I didn’t realize how much crap I have accumulated lol. And how much of a mess kids leave when you say “go carry this to the fish barn”. It just gets thrown in there and left lol.

I was going to paint the paneling and other stuff in the mini barn, as well as redo the floor, but figure what is the point. Roof doesn’t leak, the mini barn was finished with all the old crap we ripped out during the remodel, may as well leave
as is. No one goes in there anyways, but me.

And yes, the horrid carpet was in 5 rooms in the house when we bought it lol.

54BB9D81-5936-4A52-B048-6FE9A4E89657.jpeg

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And now an update.

I have to take down all of the stands, sort all of this crap, make a new stand for the totes, finish the plumbing from it to the house, move stand for the frag tank to the red circled area, then put totes in whatever stand I build in the green circled area.

I didn’t realize how much crap I have accumulated lol. And how much of a mess kids leave when you say “go carry this to the fish barn”. It just gets thrown in there and left lol.

I was going to paint the paneling and other stuff in the mini barn, as well as redo the floor, but figure what is the point. Roof doesn’t leak, the mini barn was finished with all the old crap we ripped out during the remodel, may as well leave

Ohh, and that pic is only half of the fish barn. Other side has 2 freezers, small bathroom/shower (that was fun running a drain to the septic tank), and a makeshift closet for a small water heater. Before this was designated as the fish barn, the plan was for it to be a little guest house for when my parents came to visit. The remodel of the house changed all of that, as we deleted the formal living room and den.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And now an update.

You are a lucky man. My wife would have made me remove thAt carpet the minute escrow was closed. :)
Good luck with your day plans, and I can’t wait to see the new frag tank in operation! Thanks for the updates.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are a lucky man. My wife would have made me remove thAt carpet the minute escrow was closed. :)
Good luck with your day plans, and I can’t wait to see the new frag tank in operation! Thanks for the updates.
The carpet came out 2 days after final signing lol. I then put in mini barn just to have something on the floor. Original, original plan was just storage, so who cares what was on the floor lol.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is carpet? It looks like peel and stick tile squares or linoleum lol. So bad.
House was built in 3 phases. 1860, 1929 and 1961. 1961 was when that was installed lol. House was sooooo dated when we bought it lol.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ehh ..can't see the floor anyways ;) :cool:

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights temp hung and filling with RODI. 500gpd ftw lol. Should be full by the time I get ready for bed. I will check the bulkheads and piping before bed. Then leave sitting with the sump empty. Tomorrow, I will move my office out here and truly leak test the plumbing while working lol. If all goes well, add salt, mix and then let the short cycle (if any) begin.

048D4A99-E126-474E-80B8-3CF63D81A387.jpeg

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights are you using?
For now, an 8 bulb T5 on half and an old reef breeders photon v1 that has had most of the leds swapped out for a better spectrum on the other half. Depending on how well I can keep this thing cool, it may get halides on a portion of it.

I have so many lights laying around, just gonna go with whatever for the time being lol.

Back