Possible flukes?

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lately my fox face hides all day and I did a breathing count, and he breathes about 128 times a minute. Which from my understanding is slightly high from the average 80 times a minute. He's almost always super black and almost never fully yellow. And on top of that he's shedding his slime coat everyday. He still has a very high appetite but doesn't graze as often anymore. I have in my tank an urchin, two conch, only zoas and recordia, pistol shrimp, and cleaner shrimp. Plus the occasional snail. I also have a feather duster which prazipro might kill. I have a set up quarantine tank with sand and another Coral that I can put the worm in.

Again tank inhabitants:
2 clowns
1 neon goby
1 YWG
1 one spot FF
2 conch
4 cleaner shrimp
1 urchin
1 sandsifting star
1 pistol shrimp
1 feather duster.

Attachments

• 20230118_165929.mp4
    37 MB

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot get the video to play.

What size tank do you have?

Have you noticed any aggression by the clownfish perhaps?

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot get the video to play.

What size tank do you have?

Have you noticed any aggression by the clownfish perhaps?
Yes I have. They nip at the fox occasionally. The male is the biter while the female does it occasionally too, she just follows it around. This was my first thought, I plan to take my clowns out and put them in time out. I have an established qt.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have. They nip at the fox occasionally. The male is the biter while the female does it occasionally too, she just follows it around. This was my first thought, I plan to take my clowns out and put them in time out. I have an established qt.
Try that and see what happens. Clownfish, particularly when they are breeding, can really get protective of their territory.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see the video.

The fish actually looks pretty good to me, as far as color/behavior/breathing. The shedding seems strange, as mine doesn't do that.
Those flat white things near the eyes doesn't concern you? Because if everything else to you seems fine, then I'm almost positive it's the clowns being jerks, I do want to make mention, when the fox face is out the breathing goes back to normal. When it's freaked out and goes hiding, the breathing kicks up so it probably is just stress. Which makes sense because when I first introduced the fox face to the tank, they pretty much left it alone in the fox face was happy. And then like a month and a half later the clowns got slightly aggressive and kept nipping at it. I'm going to try the one month in time out thing and see how that goes and if the fox face it improves then I know it was the Clown's fault. And after reintroduction if the fox face goes back to being skittish then the clowns have to go.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The teardrops on the bottom of the eye? I did not see those the 1st time, and I'm not sure what those mean.

I do like your plan
Yeah that's why I want to dose prazipro to my tank. Take out my featherduster leave my skimmer on but don't collect skimmet and hope no one dies. I don't know though, last time I used it my Mandarin didn't make it but I know they are sensitive fish. So I think I just have to bite the bullet and hope for the best. Obviously the last thing I want is for all of my animals to die but if these are flukes I've got my back up against a wall.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back