Possible for a pistol shrimp to kill a fish?

Fishcrisp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought live rock from kp aquatics last year,after couple months i would hear clicking noise,weeks after i was able see pistol shrimp,i was able to id the shrimp and i have a Blue-Legged Pistol shrimp. 2 weeks ago i bought yellow assessor basslet he would eat and was out and about,he would hang out with the clown fish and at night time he always goes to the pistol shrimp cave. Today i have not seen him at all. Is possible he kiiled him?

Jarbour14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I very highly doubt the pistol shrimp would have killed him, they usually are completely harmless except for sometimes smaller shrimp. I would carefully move the live rock and try to locate the basslet. If dead try to see if it was from disease rather than being attacked. Any aggressive fish in the tank?

FindingPonyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought live rock from kp aquatics last year,after couple months i would hear clicking noise,weeks after i was able see pistol shrimp,i was able to id the shrimp and i have a Blue-Legged Pistol shrimp. 2 weeks ago i bought yellow assessor basslet he would eat and was out and about,he would hang out with the clown fish and at night time he always goes to the pistol shrimp cave. Today i have not seen him at all. Is possible he kiiled him?
I have a pistol shrimp and a purple firefish so I'm pretty well versed in this kind of situation. Remember, pistol shrimp do not try to kill fish. They are blind. However, I did get both of them on separate occasions because when fish are stressed and not used to a new tank, they will act differently. And since the pistol shrimp is stronger, I made sure to get the purple firefish settled in the new tank, about one month before I got the new pistol shrimp. The shrimp would be more aggressive so make the that the firefish has the upper hand and the "home-field advantage". My pistol shrimp I did not find to be aggressive but they are territorial. If the firefish is stealing its hiding spot, it will fight back. But a bigger the tank means the more hiding spots there are which means the less Interchange but even with my tiny 14 gallon, they still stay away from each other. As long as it is not a territorial thing, shrimp will not hurt the fish.

Back