Possible forthcoming Ban on Bangaii Cardinal insight

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
There has been much discussion, wonder, concern and uncertainty of the future of bangaii cardinal fish. This proposal began I believe back in 2015 and and was again brought up in 2017
This is similar to the concern and action in 2014 regarding volitan lionfish.
Quality Marine which is an importer and distributor has been instrumental in combating this action and is urging everyone to comment and help with the fight:
Take action now – Submit your comments in opposition of the proposed 4(d) rule banning the import or export of Banggai Cardinalfish today!

To submit response: https://www.regulations.gov/commenton/NOAA-NMFS-2023-0099-0004

Comments regarding the proposed rule and supporting documents may be sent to the appropriate address (see ADDRESSES ), no later than 5 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on October 16, 2023. A public hearing may be requested by September 29, 2023. Notice of the location and time of any such hearing will be published in the Federal Register not less than 15 days before the hearing is held

For the last ten years, quality marine has established a breeding program for bangaii Cardinals at their aquaculture facility in turn increasing population, reducing need to import and preserving this fish through education and sustaining them as tank raised specimens preventing them from pulled from the wild.

Quality Marine has played a key role in establishing an overseas commercial aquaculture farm over a decade ago, dedicated to breeding and rearing Banggai Cardinalfish. These efforts are a testament to our commitment to preserving this species through sustainable practices. Without the volume of U.S. imports of Banggai Cardinalfish, which account for the majority of the output from aquaculture operations abroad, those operations will cease production of the species, which will likely shutter their businesses, further pressuring wild populations as the only available sources for the species.

NOAA) has proposed 4(d) rule NOAA–NMFS–2023–0099, which would ban the import or export of the Banggai Cardinalfish into and out of the United States regardless of its source.

The majority of bangaii cardinals are imported from foreign aquaculture farms which were vital to us acquiring these fish despite the US breeders and farms acquaculturing this fish and breeding them successfully and they need to realize aqua culturing of this fish is a tiny portion of the volume of availability. It is difficult for quality marine and other farms to keep up with demand from pet stores and many aquarists are able to breed these fish successfully but in small numbers of surviving fish. Its just not cost effective to meet the demands for this fish and we must therefore appeal this action and spread the word to our LFS and fellow clubs alike.

How many of us have this fish and have had great success with them?

1694451602463.png
RAP21r.jpg

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back