Possible lympho?

amarr104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a diamond goby, blue throat trigger, and Pakistani butterfly all in quarantine in a 29 gallon tank together. They have been in coppersafe (around 2.15 ppm with Hanna cooper checker) for a full 30 days as of yesterday. The diamond goby looks good, no sign of disease. The blue throat trigger has a white blotch on his left pectoral fin that he has had at least since 11/6. I’m wondering if you think this is lympho. It is the only blotch on his body and I think it’s too big to be ich. With that said, the Pakistani was looking clear up until yesterday when I noticed pinprick sized white dots on parts of his fins that may be clustering together somewhat. There are no white dots on his body at all, only fins, and all three fishes eyes look clear and they are all eating. The Pakistani was flashing and scratching a couple days ago and there were no dots or signs of disease on him at that time, the white dots just started showing up yesterday. I would also like to add that I have done a 5 minute freshwater bath on the Pakistani a couple weeks ago but there were no flukes. I’m wondering if maybe the trigger has lympho and gave it to the Pakistani because sometimes they share a hiding place in the tank. I’m going to try to attach pictures so you can see.

A second question I have is do you think it is safe to at least move the trigger into the display tank? I feel a little rushed because the whole month that I’ve had him he’s been spazzing out at night and sometimes during the days where he constantly chases his reflection and all of a sudden he will start flashing around the tank throwing his nose into the side of the tank like smacking it to the point he has a bit of a chin ulcer and I’m wondering if it’s because either a) the 29 is obviously too small of a tankor b) there’s a parasite or something still in the tank. What do you guys suggest? There are no white spots on him other than that single blotch I mentioned above. He is eating okay but I just am getting concerned with the chin ulcer. It’ll get red and then start healing and looking less red and a day or two later he throws himself into the side of the tank and it gets red again.

IMG_8520.jpeg IMG_8512.jpeg IMG_8511.jpeg IMG_8509.jpeg IMG_8508.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all,

I have a diamond goby, blue throat trigger, and Pakistani butterfly all in quarantine in a 29 gallon tank together. They have been in coppersafe (around 2.15 ppm with Hanna cooper checker) for a full 30 days as of yesterday. The diamond goby looks good, no sign of disease. The blue throat trigger has a white blotch on his left pectoral fin that he has had at least since 11/6. I’m wondering if you think this is lympho. It is the only blotch on his body and I think it’s too big to be ich. With that said, the Pakistani was looking clear up until yesterday when I noticed pinprick sized white dots on parts of his fins that may be clustering together somewhat. There are no white dots on his body at all, only fins, and all three fishes eyes look clear and they are all eating. The Pakistani was flashing and scratching a couple days ago and there were no dots or signs of disease on him at that time, the white dots just started showing up yesterday. I would also like to add that I have done a 5 minute freshwater bath on the Pakistani a couple weeks ago but there were no flukes. I’m wondering if maybe the trigger has lympho and gave it to the Pakistani because sometimes they share a hiding place in the tank. I’m going to try to attach pictures so you can see.

A second question I have is do you think it is safe to at least move the trigger into the display tank? I feel a little rushed because the whole month that I’ve had him he’s been spazzing out at night and sometimes during the days where he constantly chases his reflection and all of a sudden he will start flashing around the tank throwing his nose into the side of the tank like smacking it to the point he has a bit of a chin ulcer and I’m wondering if it’s because either a) the 29 is obviously too small of a tankor b) there’s a parasite or something still in the tank. What do you guys suggest? There are no white spots on him other than that single blotch I mentioned above. He is eating okay but I just am getting concerned with the chin ulcer. It’ll get red and then start healing and looking less red and a day or two later he throws himself into the side of the tank and it gets red again.

On the fin of Pakistani butterfly, looks like lymphocystis. On other fish, can’t tell if there are dots on the glass or fish and may be sand grains or other

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your copper level is slightly low - but should be acceptable. One of the lesions on the trigger looks like lymphocystis. The lesions on the butterfly are less clear however they are not Ich. I would not rush to add them to the display. Instead - did you treat with prazipro - sorry if you mentioned that - I was interrupted by a dog on my computer

OP
OP
A

amarr104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your copper level is slightly low - but should be acceptable. One of the lesions on the trigger looks like lymphocystis. The lesions on the butterfly are less clear however they are not Ich. I would not rush to add them to the display. Instead - did you treat with prazipro - sorry if you mentioned that - I was interrupted by a dog on my computer
I did not treat with Prazipro but I did do a freshwater bath on the Pakistani a couple different times and there were no flukes

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS the butterfly looks quite thin to me

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did not treat with Prazipro but I did do a freshwater bath on the Pakistani a couple different times and there were no flukes
That is not diagnostic for certain types of flukes

OP
OP
A

amarr104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS the butterfly looks quite thin to me
Yeah the Pakistani was an online order and has been a very finicky eater where he’ll take food in his mouth and then spit it out and try to take it again and spit it out again. I’ve been offering a huge variety of frozen food and he’s been slowly spitting stuff out less and less and eating more so I think in that regard he’s getting better. His appetite is noticeably improving and he’s starting to eat more so hopefully he’ll start gaining more weight soon.

OP
OP
A

amarr104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not diagnostic for certain types of flukes
I didn’t realize freshwater bath could possibly not diagnose flukes. I have general cure. Would you recommend treating with that? Can you do that with copper in the tank? I’m just worried that it may be too soon to lower the copper dose. Otherwise, I have a cycled 20 gallon that I could move both the trigger and Pakistani to to treat with GC in there if needed

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I didn’t realize freshwater bath could possibly not diagnose flukes. I have general cure. Would you recommend treating with that? Can you do that with copper in the tank? I’m just worried that it may be too soon to lower the copper dose. Otherwise, I have a cycled 20 gallon that I could move both the trigger and Pakistani to to treat with GC in there if needed
The pictures you showed do not diagnose - or not diagnose flukes. However - The question is did you follow the recommendation for prazipro for 2 treatments? If not I would

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

First thing - did you treat for flukes at all? Pakastani butterflies are really prone to Neobenedenia flukes and I always treat them for that while in quarantine. that fish also looks a bit thin, is it eating enough?

I agree that the trigger is getting banged up, but releasing it from quarantine without treating for flukes is risky.

You could try a 5 minute FW dip on one of the fish, and then look at the dip water carefully for any flukes that have fallen off. If you don't see any, then you are in a bit of a better place clearing them through quarantine.

Jay

OP
OP
A

amarr104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing - did you treat for flukes at all? Pakastani butterflies are really prone to Neobenedenia flukes and I always treat them for that while in quarantine. that fish also looks a bit thin, is it eating enough?

I agree that the trigger is getting banged up, but releasing it from quarantine without treating for flukes is risky.

You could try a 5 minute FW dip on one of the fish, and then look at the dip water carefully for any flukes that have fallen off. If you don't see any, then you are in a bit of a better place clearing them through quarantine.

Jay
I did not treat for flukes at all. I have done two separate 5 minute freshwater dips with the Pakistani and both dips did not reveal any flukes. I still have copper in the 29 gallon so I could pull both the trigger and Pakistani out and put them in a 20 gallon where I can properly dose with general cure, would you recommend that? I just worry about the trigger because he’s so skittish and I don’t want his chin to get worse by trying to catch him.
The Pakistani was not eating enough when I first got him but he’s starting to eat more and more so hopefully he’ll continue improving in that regard. A lot of times he spits stuff out. I don’t know if that’s a typical behavior.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not treat for flukes at all. I have done two separate 5 minute freshwater dips with the Pakistani and both dips did not reveal any flukes. I still have copper in the 29 gallon so I could pull both the trigger and Pakistani out and put them in a 20 gallon where I can properly dose with general cure, would you recommend that? I just worry about the trigger because he’s so skittish and I don’t want his chin to get worse by trying to catch him.
The Pakistani was not eating enough when I first got him but he’s starting to eat more and more so hopefully he’ll continue improving in that regard. A lot of times he spits stuff out. I don’t know if that’s a typical behavior.

O.K., if you looked carefully, Neobenedenia would be clear to see - they look like little gray ovals, a few millimeters long, at the bottom of the dip container.

I do think you need to get the trigger into a tank where it won't bang itself up worse....

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back