Possible to never do water changes?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible, but it usually takes a bit of planning (typically for dosing and nutrient export, but, in your case, sand maintenance too). We’ve even had TOTM’s that run no water change systems (as mentioned in a post above, though, it’s probably a good idea to have some extra salt/water around as a just in case - a lot of people do a “no planned water changes system”).

Some relevant threads:

Info on the Reef Moonshiner’s method:

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think I worded this thread wrong. Even if I could do auto water changes, I assume I'd still need to vacuum the sandbed so I'm not going to be able to avoid that.

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It is possible, but it usually takes a bit of planning (typically for dosing and nutrient export, but, in your case, sand maintenance too). We’ve even had TOTM’s that run no water change systems (as mentioned in a post above, though, it’s probably a good idea to have some extra salt/water around as a just in case - a lot of people do a “no planned water changes system”).

Some relevant threads:

Info on the Reef Moonshiner’s method:
Thanks I'll have a read. I make my own saltwater so I always have water on hand.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I worded this thread wrong. Even if I could do auto water changes, I assume I'd still need to vacuum the sandbed so I'm not going to be able to avoid that.
This is why you use a sock in your sump. Vacuum all day long without loosing a single drop of water.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've had my tank running for almost a year now. I'm trying not to have to do water changes. However I've been running into high nitrate and phosphate issues. I've started vacuuming the sand bed to try and get the nitrates down. I have to essentially do a water change when vacuuming the sand bed. So was wondering if it's possible to never do a water change when there's a sandbed capturing detritus?
I rarely if ever change water but that comes with disciplined testing of water, ICP testing and a very stable tank. Once there, I replenish evaporated water along with adding trace elements and vitamins as well as aminos

stephanjupillat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is why you use a sock in your sump. Vacuum all day long without loosing a single drop of water.
I’ve never tired that but have read many people doing that. What micron do you use? Do you vacuum the entire sand bed at one time or portions? I would fear losing all good things in the sand bed if done all at once.

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I rarely if ever change water but that comes with disciplined testing of water, ICP testing and a very stable tank. Once there, I replenish evaporated water along with adding trace elements and vitamins as well as aminos
But do you vacuum the sand bed?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never tired that but have read many people doing that. What micron do you use? Do you vacuum the entire sand bed at one time or portions? I would fear losing all good things in the sand bed if done all at once.
No idea micron size, just a felt filter sock, same ones I normally use. And yes in my 80G cube I do the entire sandbed once a month. I also employee 3 fighting conch, several nessarious(sp?) snails, and my sandbed is full of medusa/spaghetti worms.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OMG this a family friendly webiste! You can't say that. :D

Sorry couldn't help myself. Think it's my flu and pneumonia.
I fixed that sentence

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you can run a system with zero water changes with the right processes. I don’t do any water changes in my tanks.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i'm not even sure why I change water anymore. I've gone a few months, and never really noticed a difference.

It's just whats been ingrained in me for 30 years, so I keep doing them.

EDIT:
Make that 40 years. Sometimes we forget how old we are.

Last edited:

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you have physically contaminated your tank with something that needs to be removed, there is no required reason to ever do a WC. There are multiple avenues to replacing micro and macro elements, as well as nutrient export. Just do a little research and pick your preferred method.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goal is never having to do water changes. :⁠-⁠) Even having to vacuum the sand bed is a pain lol
My tank is almost 11 months old. I've changed my sand for coarser and since have not vacuumed my bottom.
I have a sand sifter goby and cerith snails that seem to be doing a great job in keeping my bottom clean.
My only WC in recent times has been 15% to reduce No3. Now stable around 25ppm. Dosing Reef essentials.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back