Possibly stupid question: How do I dose antibiotics (powder)?

Aspiring Tank Guru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am dealing with a gnarly looking bacterial or fungal infection on one of my clowns. I have her in QT now and just dosing Kanaplex does not seem to be working. I am going to add Furan-2 to my treatment regimen tonight. I have been dissolving the medication in a cup of water before adding it to the tank and I wasn't sure if that is why it doesn't appear to be working. Do I dissolve the medication in water first and add that to the QT or do I add the powder directly to the tank?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Premixing is fine. Need to remember that fish are very slow to respond to antibiotics. Also remember that the antibiotics are not "curing" they are just helping the fish's immune system to fight the infection. Give the meds a good 10-14 days and in some cases a second round is needed or a change to different meds.

OP
OP
A

Aspiring Tank Guru

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long would you recommend I wait before trying furan-2? I did the second dose of kanaplex last night. I cannot tell if it’s getting better or not yet. The infection is on her chin/lower lip and I just don’t want it to impact her ability to eat.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long would you recommend I wait before trying furan-2? I did the second dose of kanaplex last night. I cannot tell if it’s getting better or not yet. The infection is on her chin/lower lip and I just don’t want it to impact her ability to eat.
I would add Kanaplex with Furan-2. If the infection is on the mouth adding Sulfaplex to the mix may also be helpful.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back