Post cycle bacterial bloom...the uglies

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just restarted a tank and the cycle is finished but got a heavy bacterial bloom. I slowly dissipates at night but comes back in the day with the lights on.

If I leave the lights off, how many days will I generally need to do it to get rid of it, or is it just something that I have to let run its own course?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just restarted a tank and the cycle is finished but got a heavy bacterial bloom. I slowly dissipates at night but comes back in the day with the lights on.

If I leave the lights off, how many days will I generally need to do it to get rid of it, or is it just something that I have to let run its own course?
You need to let it run its course. Turning the lights off may not allow the bacteria to grow, but it will also mean that they aren't consuming whatever is causing the bloom. Are you running a skimmer?

OP
OP
Joe Batt

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I run a skimmer but have turned the hours per day down because nitrates and phosphates are very very low. I guess phosphates will rise when the bloom goes since it will be masking the true level.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I run a skimmer but have turned the hours per day down because nitrates and phosphates are very very low. I guess phosphates will rise when the bloom goes since it will be masking the true level.
Do you have any fish or inverts in your tank yet? If not, I would let the skimmer run.

OP
OP
Joe Batt

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have fish and inverts in the tank, not putting corals in for a while yet. I'm in no hurry so I will just let the bloom take its course. Just looks ugly for a week or two....

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have fish and inverts in the tank, not putting corals in for a while yet. I'm in no hurry so I will just let the bloom take its course. Just looks ugly for a week or two....
If you have fish I highly recommend keeping the skimmer running. Bacteria blooms consume O2 from the tank and can cause fish health issues. Low nutrients won't hurt fish and inverts at all.

OP
OP
Joe Batt

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good point. I have a lot of surface flow to help as well intended to help

OP
OP
Joe Batt

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wet skim-mate will help this issue. ....collect 1 gallon per day is the best.
The skim is very wet at the moment with this in mind, but a great point.
The amount of skim is amazing and the darkness is deep brown/green. It,s a new skimmer and it is amazing the skim it provides compared to my last. It didn't even need tuning in, it produced the day I installed it.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back