Post-Dinos, Now Cyano: Best management without nuking?

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TL;DR version - I've got a nice outbreak of cyano pretty much everywhere on the sand. What's the best way to deal with cyano without nuke-bomb treatments like Chemiclean?

Longer version...

System is a little over 5 months old. Started with marco-rock, OceanDirect live sand, live rock and live sand from AquaBiomics. About 2 months ago my nutrients bottomed out and I got one heck of a dinos infestation. Confirmed small cell amphidinum by microscope and began treating the tank by:
  • Adding several jars of Jay's Reef Bugs 7-species copepods
  • Dosing live phyto daily (about 30 mL a day)
  • Dosing beneficial bacteria daily (rotation of 5 mL MB7 one day, 5 mL EcoBalance the next day, 10 mL AF LifeSource mud the 3rd day, repeat)
  • Dosing NeoNitro and NeoPhos to maintain 100:1 ratio (testing every morning before dosing)
  • Stopped aminos
  • Added 8 lbs of Tampa Bay Saltwater live rubble to sump
Over the next few weeks dinos diminished rather quickly. Then, a few weeks ago, red cyano started appearing. Here's a video of what the sand looks like today: Cyano Sand

I vacuumed as much of the cyano off the sand as I could about a week ago so this is roughly 1-week's growth now.

I've only been reefing for 3 years but one thing I've very much come to believe is the old adage, "nothing good happens fast in a reef tank." As much as possible, I prefer to go the more natural, slow and steady route. My goal is to build a healthy system that can last a long time. I do not want to use nuclear interventions like Chemiclean if I can avoid it.

With that in mind, what's the best way to deal with cyano without a nuclear attack like Chemiclean?

Do I just keep doing what I'm doing and let the system mature and equalize on its own? In other words, "JUST BE PATIENT!" :)

Do I go heavier on the phyto dosing?

Are there critters I could/should add to the system that might eat cyano?

Something else I'm not thinking of?

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your nutrient levels?
Steady Eddie now after several weeks of daily testing and dosing when needed

A0B3411E-C972-4F36-9C8E-65278FD0D019.png

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back