Post pics of your 10 or 20g sump! I need inspiration...

WhiskeyCoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm redoing my sump soon to accommodate a fuge and I need some inspiration for the design. I'd also like to hear about the pros, cons, and what you'd change in the next redesign. Thanks!!

a6walter1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my sump on my frag system (40Breeder), it is a 20L. You could adjust the fuge section to be smaller if you want to incorporate a skimmer into the first section. Since this picture I have added live rock and chaeto to the fuge.
IMG_20160214_222333973_HDR.jpg

a6walter1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, but you could easily cut a piece of acrylic and cut holes for filter socks and let it sit in the tank rim.

Bozoman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A6walter1 has a good design for a small minimalist sump. I would make the fuge area as large as possible and for this size sump yYou can make the bubble trap slightly narrower. You just need enough space so that the bubbles rise faster than the water flows though. You can also make the walls taller depending on the amount of water you will get when you cut power to the return pump. Your return line into the tank makes a big difference here. You want to make sure there is as little siphoning from the display as possible. Either drill a hole right above the water line on the bottom of the return nozzle to break the siphon or keep the return line partially above water. The larger the tank and the more volume your return plumbing contains the more head space you need. Slow fuge flow is better than fast. As long as you can fit your skimmer in the first chamber and you use ATO you can make the return much smaller. Just make sure the pump has enough room so it wont hit any glass when vibrating.

Last edited:

a6walter1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Bozoman, i could have saved a bit of space with the return chamber as well as the bubble trap, although when i made the sump i did not know what return pump i would be using yet. If i planned slightly better, i could have plumbed the drains a bit tighter and had enough space for a skimmer.

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i REALLY will be following this, I have a 75g sump/refu that I am putting together and I look at this thing baffled. So I am excited to see this thread go:oops:

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer is a skimz 123, heater, refugium light with CFL bulb, Quiet One 2200 return pump running two 2 little fishies 150 reactors off a manifold. Hang on the side is a 2 little fishies reactor

skybears

Lovin it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer is a skimz 123, heater, refugium light with CFL bulb, Quiet One 2200 return pump running two 2 little fishies 150 reactors off a manifold. Hang on the side is a 2 little fishies reactor
Thank you very much for sharing that information I'm just trying to get all my little duckies going in a row

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently figuring my sections out. I've seen just 1 bubble trap baffle and the rest was 1s socks slimmer next 2 it. The whole rest all refugium basically then bubble and pump. So was shocked only 1 baffle and ran a frag tank. So idk if I should b leaning farther that way as it gives u unlimited options 2 equipmesnt anytime and movement. The sock part had like a kinda baffle 2 keep the skimmer in cleaner water I guess but was only 1/2 the length front 2 back so ya I guess was a spot 2 keep it more isolated. But threw me off from all basics of sections for each

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 9 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 32.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back