Post transfer and corals and corals are still ticked.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am confused or missing something. Did you cycle this new tank? Transfer the rocks? So much of what is happening in the tank is unseen. Bacteria, phyto, and zooplankton. I suspect that this was the change your coral picked up on. Good luck. Corals can adapt to almost anything.

OP
OP
MIke Wood

MIke Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am confused or missing something. Did you cycle this new tank? Transfer the rocks? So much of what is happening in the tank is unseen. Bacteria, phyto, and zooplankton. I suspect that this was the change your coral picked up on. Good luck. Corals can adapt to almost anything.
Everything was transfered from a 40 gallon to a 60 gallon. All the contents. No dry rock was used. It's all been seasons. All the old water was used. Only think I didn't add was the encrusted coraline from the old tank. I have tiger pods everywhere. All over the glass and rocks. Essentially a 50 % water change was done. As I diluted the 34 gallons of water from the 40 nuvo with 35 gallons of new saltwater that was matched close to dkh. Matched exact to Mag, po4 and no3

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything was transfered from a 40 gallon to a 60 gallon. All the contents. No dry rock was used. It's all been seasons. All the old water was used. Only think I didn't add was the encrusted coraline from the old tank. I have tiger pods everywhere. All over the glass and rocks. Essentially a 50 % water change was done. As I diluted the 34 gallons of water from the 40 nuvo with 35 gallons of new saltwater that was matched close to dkh. Matched exact to Mag, po4 and no3
Sounds reasonable, but where did you hear of this method? Putting live creatures in a non cycled tank seems reckless. I hope it gets better

stevieduk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a hurricane where coral gets displaced they seem to take a bit of time before they start “ grooving “ again. Moving coral around is a signal that the substrate is moving which is a bad environment for growth. Until the coral is adjusted to the new stable location I think they shut down the growth options for awhile until they are certain that they are done being cast about by waves and currents.

I would anticipate that they will start growing more in the base for awhile and then the expansion of the head and rapid growth will resume.

How long this will take?

I would suggest increasing the availability of nutrients, add phytoplankton, pods, etc to nudge them towards resuming growth.
I agree, sometimes when i buy a new coral, it take weeks to settle, even though acros are fine next to it. Be patient

OP
OP
MIke Wood

MIke Wood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I kept lighting lower with a slow acclimation upwards to my desired par levels. I did notice that my temp was a little higher than I typically run my reef. I usually run it at 77, temp was 79. I forgot to adjust my inkbird after taking my smaller heater offline. The inkbird was set a little higher as it was a fail safe for the controller that came with my heater. So I adjusted the temp. Things did look a little better after that. Maybe just coincidence because I doubt that little bit of a swing would cause all this chaos. I did do a 25% waterchange on Sunday. Tank is starting to turn around. WD is starting to color back up. Tested today. Alk was 7.8, po4 .03ppm, and no3 10ppm. I'll try and stay the course with these numbers with hope of a rebound. Plan to do a 15% change weekly. This is what I was doing in my 40 nuvo. Thanks for the help guys.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 88 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back