Post your DIY additives here!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well , thank you, but I was only trying to reproduce some of the Aquaforest additives for myself and was looking for some help deciding what chemical was a better choose for each additive. I have read many forums and threads but I am not chemist nor oceanographer, my only capability is to calculate how much of each product I should add to an aquarium based on the ICP results. The problem is that I do not know if the chemicals listed above are good enough or there are better options.

OK, that simplifies things, but still, I doubt Aquaforest tells you the form of the additives in it. Hence the need to look deeper than simply elements.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would Ammoniummetavanadate (NH4VO3) be a good choice for a vanadium supplement? Thats the only one i could probably get my hands on above board/in not super sketchy ways here in germany.

zachtos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ManganeseManganese (II) Chloride TetrahydrateMnCl₂
BariumBarium Chloride DihydrateBaCl2.2H2O
ZincZinc ChlorideZnCl₂
StrontiumStrontium Chloride, 6-HydrateSrCl2·6H2O
FluorineSodium FluorideNaF
IronFergon High Potency Iron Highly Soluble TabletsC12H24FeO14
MolybdenumSodium MolybdateNa₂MoO₄ * 2 H₂O
Iodine (and Potassium)Potassium IodideKI
VandiumVanadium (V) OxideV2O5
BoronBorax (10 mule team detergent booster)Na₂[B₄O₅(OH)₄]·8H₂O

*this is what I've been using for my tank w/ links to amazon to buy. I have not had Randy verify that all of this is OK, but it has been working over 2 years now. my google doc has notes on how I calculate molar mass and how to dose etc.

AlbertGF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would Ammoniummetavanadate (NH4VO3) be a good choice for a vanadium supplement? Thats the only one i could probably get my hands on above board/in not super sketchy ways here in germany.
I ordered the Vanadium that @zachtos listed in his post, the one from Amazon. I live in Catalonia and they say that they are going to send the product to here. I suppose they will send to Germany too.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's a different oxidation state of vanadium (VO3---) than what I think is is normally present in seawater (VO4---) . I do not know the implications of that difference from a toxicity or bioavailability perspective.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the Vanadium that @zachtos listed in his post, the one from Amazon. I live in Catalonia and they say that they are going to send the product to here. I suppose they will send to Germany too.
Yeah self importing restricted chemicals from a non-EU country and hoping it skips by customs is kinda what i meant with sketchy and i am not sure but i think actually illegal.

Maybe ill find a vendor inside the EU somehwere, not sure whether that's legal either though

AlbertGF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ZincZinc ChlorideZnCl₂

*this is what I've been using for my tank w/ links to amazon to buy. I have not had Randy verify that all of this is OK, but it has been working over 2 years now. my google doc has notes on how I calculate molar mass and how to dose etc.
Hi @zachtos,

I ordered the same Vanadium as you at Amazon.com and it arrived last week. Today I was doing the mixes and the product that has arrived does not dissolve nor turns water yellowish. I tried to dissolve 2.68 grams of that product to 1.5 liters of water and it precipitates to the bottom and does not dye the water.
Does it dissolve well for you? The resultant water should be yellowish, isn't it?

Maybe there is an error with the chemical, I don't know.

Thank you!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @zachtos,

I ordered the same Vanadium as you at Amazon.com and it arrived last week. Today I was doing the mixes and the product that has arrived does not dissolve nor turns water yellowish. I tried to dissolve 2.68 grams of that product to 1.5 liters of water and it precipitates to the bottom and does not dye the water.
Does it dissolve well for you? The resultant water should be yellowish, isn't it?

Thank you!

Do you have a link to the exact chemical?

AlbertGF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a link to the exact chemical?
Yes, I ordered this item:

I have new news. This morning I found maybe all powder settled at the bottom of the recipient so it wasn't dissolved. Then I looked for the Sodium orthovanadate formula and it seems that adding 6 to 1 moles of NaOH to V2O5 forms it. So I added 3.54gr of NaOH to the 2.68gr of V2O5 and all dissolved good letting a transparent like water liquid.
But the vanadium pentoxide alone did not dissolve, at least not totally.

I think I read somewhere that you (@Randy Holmes-Farley) wrote that Sodium orthovanadate is a good choice and that VO4 is the form of vanadate that is naturally present in seawater.

So, if I am not wrong, finally, I am happy with it.

Just after mixing:
IMG_20210425_191338.jpg

After one night settling (here I had added 1.5gr of NaOH):
IMG_20210426_093858.jpg
IMG_20210426_093926.jpg

After adding all NaOH (two grams more):
IMG_20210426_175440.jpg
IMG_20210426_175455.jpg

zachtos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @zachtos,

Thank you!

Sorry, I actually got mine on ebay for Vanadium. The link was gone so I found comparable source on Amazon, but perhaps it's not the same? I was able to dissolve 1gram in 1L of water with ease, and it makes a bright yellow liquid. This is what the description was in my email history:​

VANADIUM PENTOXIDE 2 oz Lab Ceramic Chemical V2O5 RARE EARTH 99.9% purity

rakugoldpottery was the ebay user name for seller

Let us know if a solution is found, as I will run out eventually myself.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im curious if you guys noticed any benefits dosing vanadium?

zachtos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure. I dose too many things to be certain. I try to keep all parameters similar to natural sea water. My reward is bright colored SPS coral. I am starting to encounter nitrate creep though, but I think that's unrelated to dosing.

AlbertGF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry, I actually got mine on ebay for Vanadium. The link was gone so I found comparable source on Amazon, but perhaps it's not the same? I was able to dissolve 1gram in 1L of water with ease, and it makes a bright yellow liquid. This is what the description was in my email history:​

VANADIUM PENTOXIDE 2 oz Lab Ceramic Chemical V2O5 RARE EARTH 99.9% purity

rakugoldpottery was the ebay user name for seller

Let us know if a solution is found, as I will run out eventually myself.
I messaged the seller and I'm still waiting for an answer. So I don't know anything new yet.

I still haven't dosed, so I don't know. But all those methods like Aquaforest, Triton, etc. recommend it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I messaged the seller and I'm still waiting for an answer. So I don't know anything new yet.

I still haven't dosed, so I don't know. But all those methods like Aquaforest, Triton, etc. recommend it.

Vanadium is used by every organism, so it needed at some (undetermined) level, but bear in mind that they also recommend things with no known biological use, just for the sake of matching natural seawater levels of things.

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after my most recent test it was suggested I dose
Single Element Fluoride 790 ml total split over 14 days
Single Element Molybdenum 90 ml total split over 8 days

I found molybdenum on Amazon but can’t seem to find fluoride without paying a ridiculous amount of cash, any suggestions. I also included my full report.

Attachments

• OC184122.pdf
    169.2 KB · Views: 87

agv180

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ZincZinc ChlorideZnCl₂

Hello, I saw your page about additives, I wanted to know if a mix similar to infusion is possible. the one used to supplement the calcium reactor?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I saw your page about additives, I wanted to know if a mix similar to infusion is possible. the one used to supplement the calcium reactor?

Infusion means what to you? A brand of supplement? The word literally just means to add something.

Reefology1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to boost my fluoride levels with this recipe and wondering if anyone sees a problem with the info below?

Sodium Fluoride – NaF is 45% fluoride by weight?

Dissolve 10g of NaF in 1 L of RO/DI. That solution contains 4.5 g/L of fluoride or 4.5 mg/ml.

Adding 10 mL (45mg) to 300 L (80 gallons) of tank water will boost aquarium Fluoride levels by 0.15 mg/l

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 71 75.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back