Post your mid water change pictures!

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since today is water change day, figured it would be interesting to see some water change pics. How far do you take your water level down? Any prized sticks being exposed to air ;)? Bonus points if you show your dirty water and "can't live without" tools lol. I normally change 15 gallons every Saturday in a 105 gallon tank.
waterchange.jpg
waterchange1.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My entire reef stays drained for about twenty mins as I clean the inside glass and details pics soon today wc day (small reef easy to drain all water)

Record is 30 mins no losses, sps is red monti and some Jason fox montis and a bunch of lps. Great thread, I read about people concerned with recycling due to air contact, nope. Not my live rock either, or pods, they just hole up inside a while. Brittle stars galore too all inside lr. Perhaps yalls large tanks with acros may not like the param shock from wc but I got lucky and mine tolerate entire swaps to new salt if I want. IO to Red Sea pro: an insulting jump on some params but sys doesn’t care we take whatever the lfs is pumping out at the time

I fed my nano a ton of feed last nite, in a couple hours rip all the water out n replace / phat corals

Your top down shot is great, clean details no detritus accum/no funk, well done scaping access

Last edited:
OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My entire reef stays drained for about twenty mins as I clean the inside glass and details pics soon today wc day

Record is 30 mins no losses, sps is red monti and some Jason fox montis and a bunch of lps
Wow.....I think I would lose sleep knowing my entire reef was drained lol....looking forward to seeing the pics!

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming up yep soon, I wonder how many people are doing wc today. The only reason I found 30 was ok was a phone call rec’d right after the drain... halfway through convo I yelled NO / arrgh / forgot/ why and the ran back to fill up. Thankfully in three hours all set

I used to bring my corals for trade to Jason at Salt n More/ Lubbock Texas sitting on the seat of my car for the drive, we got a little cocky with the drain thing. Here’s sps/ I think it's same monti you show much larger above:
IMG_20180427_153949069_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180427_153455484_HDR.jpg

Sits on plastic bag so we don't pick up fuzz. My frag plugs are pieces of cut water bottle plastic trash from the alley lol.

Today if my house is Facebook clean enough at WC time I'll video the drain.

John M Cole on this forum has also received a blasto frag that came out of front pocket just for effect and to laugh a bit. It did fine long time

Last edited:
OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming up yep soon, I wonder how many people are doing wc today. The only reason I found 30 was ok was a phone call rec’d right after the drain... halfway through convo I yelled NO / arrgh / forgot/ why and the ran back to fill up. Thankfully in three hours all set

I used to bring my corals for trade to Jason at Salt n More/ Lubbock Texas sitting on the seat of my car for the drive, we got a little cocky with the drain thing. Here’s sps/ I think it's same monti you show much larger above:
IMG_20180427_153949069_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180427_153455484_HDR.jpg

Sits on plastic bag so we don't pick up fuzz. My frag plugs are pieces of cut water bottle plastic trash from the alley lol.

Today if my house is Facebook clean enough at WC time I'll video the drain.

John M Cole on this forum has also received a blasto frag that came out of front pocket just for effect and to laugh a bit. It did fine long time
That is crazy....amazing how tough these coral actually are yet they seem so fragile at the same time. I agree with people being worried about their SPS being exposed to air....they don't realize that it happens every day on shoreline reefs as the tide goes out, and they sit baking in the sun :)

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My entire reef stays drained for about twenty mins as I clean the inside glass and details pics soon today wc day (small reef easy to drain all water)

Record is 30 mins no losses, sps is red monti and some Jason fox montis and a bunch of lps. Great thread, I read about people concerned with recycling due to air contact, nope. Not my live rock either, or pods, they just hole up inside a while. Brittle stars galore too all inside lr. Perhaps yalls large tanks with acros may not like the param shock from wc but I got lucky and mine tolerate entire swaps to new salt if I want. IO to Red Sea pro: an insulting jump on some params but sys doesn’t care we take whatever the lfs is pumping out at the time

I fed my nano a ton of feed last nite, in a couple hours rip all the water out n replace / phat corals

Your top down shot is great, clean details no detritus accum/no funk, well done scaping access
I redid the aquascape on a big tank once and took out some small pieces of rock in the process. They ended up in a bucket in the back of my truck.

Two days later, I was cleaning it out and found a rock with about 4 or 5 purple mushrooms on it (not sure how I missed them). By that time, they were dedicated to the consistency of moist booger.

Put them in a tank and by the end of the day, they were as good as new.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got my water mixing. I'll do the change later today or tomorrow. Depends how wrapped up I get into these games.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about posting a picture of me sitting here in a rocking chair blowing off another weekend w/o doing a water change.
<----- but I'm too lazy to take a picture. So just imagine that mug sitting in a rocking chair. I do think I'll feed the fish later,...

OP
OP
Waters

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about posting a picture of me sitting here in a rocking chair blowing off another weekend w/o doing a water change.
<----- but I'm too lazy to take a picture. So just imagine that mug sitting in a rocking chair. I do think I'll feed the fish later,...
Yeah I definitely have those days.......weeks......sometimes months.......

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm procrastinating but algae won't permit another day. Some drains r coming. Need upload time for 20 min vid/not fast but nonetheless occurs by midnite
For me not to drain my whole reef for twenty minutes means drum me out of town for ever having said it, midnite :)

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cell let me record /do a record 31:45 drain, that's my personal best for whole reef :) yay it didn't erase. Uploading at 1080 on my connection is three hours she'll be up by sunrise. A heckuva video did occur. For half an hour is the sound of me cleaning tanks but it's one continuous shot with all my corals laid out on dinner plates. This has happened in excess of two or three hundred times to the system, though I think this is the record air time it cut off before I got all filled up. Pushed it really good, got my max air time on vid coming up

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We will see if frags have any flesh when lights on. They were cold beef jerky lol at time of refill I was ten percent concerned

Five hours later, will update when lights on

IMG_20181016_094303976.jpg

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 hrs
This concludes today's av experience detailing the death of old tank syndrome in hd.

:)

It's exactly like human body building but for coral, work, not rest in the fringing zone

anywhere you demand coral mass to occur.. blast feed and rip change is nano reef secret sauce. It's not in the hands off, but the hands on.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back