Posting the noobiest question of my life...

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What screws do i need to mount my RO/DI to the cinderblock walls in my basement? Do normal screws work?

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No they don't. You need those plastic inserts for those screws to go into. They to make concrete screws. There are also concrete anchors that are more permanent.

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Ill pick up some concrete type anchors at my local home depot.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no universally agreed upon "correct" way to mount something in masonry....choose what makes the most sense based on the quality of the wall (100-year-old mortal isn't too stable, for example) and the available selection of anchors at the store.

sinekal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My house is all block, and I have mounted plenty of things to cinder block with concrete screws. If the item never moves or has additional forces against it I find they hold well, if the above isn't true they seem to get looser over time. I've had success in solving that issue using some epoxy in the hole along with the screw.

aj741986

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tapcons or anchors. I would use tapcons though. Just pre drill the hole alil smaller then the screw. I do alot of concrete work in my trade.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like TapCon's too, but all methods have some pretty specific plusses and minuses.

That is why I suggest that you have to account for your specific wall when you pick your method.

From the Tapcon Tapcon® Concrete Screws website:
HOLDING STRENGTH
• Holding values of the Tapcon® screw will differ based on the strength of the base material that the screw will be installed. A rule of thumb is that the harder the base material then the better the holding values.
• The Tapcon® screw is considered a light duty fastener and should only be used in light loading applications, such as an electrical junction box to concrete or wood to brick.
• The Tapcon® screw should never be removed and replaced back in to the same hole because the holding values may deteriorate to zero.

More traditional split anchors can put enough pressure on an old brick to split it, but lots of people use them in other scenarios:
dynabolt_selec3a.jpg

Dynabolt Selection and Order Information

aj741986

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like TapCon's too, but all methods have some pretty specific plusses and minuses.

That is why I suggest that you have to account for your specific wall when you pick your method.

From the Tapcon Tapcon® Concrete Screws website:

More traditional split anchors can put enough pressure on an old brick to split it, but lots of people use them in other scenarios:
dynabolt_selec3a.jpg

Dynabolt Selection and Order Information
I don't know enough to know really.. the house was built in the early 70's, the room is in the basement and the wall is cinderBlock. it looks like it has that moisture sealing paint on it or whatever lol helpful I know

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I mean use your judgement: If it seems weak or crumbly whle you're working on it, it is. If it's seems strong, it is. ;)

OP
OP
Davy Jones

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help everyone! I got it mounted last night using the plastic anchor things and screws. broke 3 of the little drill bits drilling a pilot hole into the block so i guess you can say it was solid lol

Eric G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you got it hung. If you need to hang anything else on the wall ,a hammer drill will work way faster for you to drill the holes.

Bluefish9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea... always use a hammer drill when drilling in masonry.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back