Potassium Dosing

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your learned input Randy :)

I haven't read about zeolites binding potassium, but I'm sure it's possible. There was talk about the zeolites adding iron to the water and using this to bind phosphates.

I don't employ the ZeoVit system anymore, however, I still "lose" an appreciable amount of K+/fortnight and have to dose my tank.

I put this down to the bacteria and skimming.

I agree that seems likely.

You're welcome and Happy Reefing. :)

Paul J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have just started testing Potassium and the results were lower than 325mg/l. This is were the figures start. The kits used is Colombo. I dosed 2ml on day one. Next day read no change. Dosed 3ml on day two (today) I shall keep dozing until I each the 400ml/l mark.
Anyone else using this test kit?

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyHolmes-farley

My reef tank seems to consume a crazy amount of potassium and Strontium. I'm currently at 290 and I've been dosing 50ml of 4x strength Brightwell Potassium powder suppliment. I can't seem to keep up with demand, my reef is 80% acropora, 180 gallon tank. I'm looking at the eherb supplement... Do you recommend the powder? How do you dose it? I have a doser.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@randyHolmes-farley

My reef tank seems to consume a crazy amount of potassium and Strontium. I'm currently at 290 and I've been dosing 50ml of 4x strength Brightwell Potassium powder suppliment. I can't seem to keep up with demand, my reef is 80% acropora, 180 gallon tank. I'm looking at the eherb supplement... Do you recommend the powder? How do you dose it? I have a doser.

Yes, iherb potassium chloride is fine.

how are you doing calcium and alkalinity? That method might be reducing potassium and strontium, independent of any consumption..

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, iherb potassium chloride is fine.

how are you doing calcium and alkalinity? That method might be reducing potassium and strontium, independent of any consumption..
I'm using Triton, been using the method for about a year. I'm testing using Salifert, Triton ISP confirms my low readings.

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so doing some quick math... 600 grams of eherbs Potassium will run about $12.50... the equivalent of Britewell will be about $17.00. Whether the eherb is a better value depends on the concentration... Can you shed any light on this Randy?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back