Potassium nitrate (Spectracide stump remover) dosing steps

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm you haven't had Dino's then....Lucky u.

Ask folks with #chrysophytes who's lucky. ;)

I actually think they're almost the same in effect since dino's are (apparently) a common commensal. As mentioned, I don't have a scope, but I'm almost positive my infestation was heavy with dino's.

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm taking a sample over to a local college and having a fellow reefer microbiologist take a look and identify what I have. If there are dinos living with the chrysophytes symbiotically, I'll be doing a treatment of metroplex to try and stop them from reproducing. If the dinos are providing the #chrysophytes with nutrients, disrupting that relationship hopefully will kill them off. I'm attempting Vibrant Aquarium Cleaner at the same time, so I hope the 1-2-3 punch of killing off their food supply, physical removal, and vibrant bacteria will be too much for them.

Yes, I'd rather have dinos or cyano at this point. I've dealt with outbreaks of both in previous tanks. They're both easier to deal with than this stuff, imo.

Last edited:

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But...Learnt my lesson ...If you take risks you will introduce.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm taking a sample over to a local college and having a fellow reefer microbiologist take a look and identify what I have. If there are dinos living with the chrysophytes symbiotically, I'll be doing a treatment of metroplex to try and stop them from reproducing. If the dinos are providing the #chrysophytes with nutrients, disrupting that relationship hopefully will kill them off.

Yes, I'd rather have dinos or cyano at this point. I've dealt with outbreaks of both in previous tanks. They're both easier to deal with than this stuff, imo.
Cyano. Walk in park. Crikey that's not even a pest. Tank has to be in a bad way to get it. Even so responds to various forms of treatment nicely.

Dino's being easy to deal with. Please whats the secret.

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metroplex, @twilliard had a sticky post that seems to be the best way at tackling them. Metroplex contains a medicine that disrupts dino's ability to reproduce (since the active ingredient in metroplex targets protozoa, and dino belongs to that family).

After about 3 days of treatment, and an additional 11 days of waiting, the dino outbreak is completely gone from the tanks of people who tried it.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you beat them personally with metro? Any other factors?

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks well versed with that thread and no metro didn't work for twillard or I or anyone I know.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twillard then moved to sodium hypochlorite from about page 75 and well he still has them.

My personal experience was that they are totally unbeatable. I killed every other organism that I could see scope or other wise in that tank....And they lived. :(

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I read the first 10-20 pages and just saw people saying it had worked. Did it come back in later posts or prove to be ineffective? Everyone that tried it seemed to have positive results.

For me personally, dinos were always beaten with a period of no lights, high flow, and UV.

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck, I even had a patch of dinos in this tank that appeared at the same time as the chrysophytes, and it went away after about 2-3 days, I think the chrysophytes killed it off. :D

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Collectively we have tried.

UV
Flow
Removal of sand
Removal or.rock
Bleach
H202
Metro
Critters
Hyposalinity
Just to name a few. Still it continues.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried DinoX? I have a buddy that swears by it.
Yeah Dino's laughed at it. It did create a beautiful candy floss nuclear green algae though. Which I don't think had ever been seen in nature.before :D

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you beat your chryo though. Maybe you should sell it to people with Dino's.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arnt chryo fungal based organisms. Sounds like a penacilin Vs bacteria thing.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 117 58.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 61 30.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 73 36.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.0%
Back