Potassium nitrate (Spectracide stump remover) dosing steps

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a list of things I've tried for chryo. I've all but broken the tank down and restarted. 35% H2O2 seemingly has no affect on it. High flow, it just becomes opaque white and hangs on for dear life. Low flow, darker brown and longer strands.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I don't know where these ideas come up from. They don't work lol

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been ULN (pale SPS, lead me to this thread). Tried dirty tank, lost SPS.

I think it's bacteria.
Man..Same as. My Sps bleached. Still got polyps but look like a stick man version of Casper.

Dosing nitrate now.

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

. They are not considered truly autotrophic by some biologists because nearly all chrysophytes become facultatively heterotrophic in the absence of adequate light, or in the presence of plentiful dissolved food. When this occurs, the chrysoplast atrophies and the alga may turn predator, feeding on bacteria or diatoms.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think it's bacteria.

From your video, you are starving your corals dosing too much bacteria or "X" products. How large is your system, and how many fishs do you have?

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want any in my tank ta. It is clear of anything that remotely looks like an **** on speed. ;)

The others might want some though. Nice linked here. Seriously all in the name of science.

Good luck fella.

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your video, you are starving your corals dosing too much bacteria or "X" products. How large is your system, and how many fishs do you have?

I agree, I was starving them. I had undetectable levels of PO4 and NO3. I have a 45g tank (~58g total system), currently have one wrasse. I only recently started messing around with bacteria dosing (Dr. Tim's, Vibrant) and I'm making sure to keep my nutrient levels detectable during the process. Coloration and growth is taking off.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I was starving them. I had undetectable levels of PO4 and NO3. I have a 45g tank (~58g total system), currently have one wrasse. I only recently started messing around with bacteria dosing (Dr. Tim's, Vibrant) and I'm making sure to keep my nutrient levels detectable during the process. Coloration and growth is taking off.

No need to dose bacteria if your tank is already low in nutrients. You can tell just by looking at your rock, it's covered in bacteria.

Start by taking the more natural approach, add more fishs or feed your corals. It's fun. :)

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to dose bacteria if your tank is already low in nutrients. You can tell just by looking at your rock, it's covered in bacteria.

Start by taking the more natural approach, add more fishs or feed your corals. It's fun. :)
I'm dosing bacteria because I'm manually removing a lot of the chryo. I want something there to compete for resources - if I just remove it and do nothing, it will come back. I've tried doing nothing, many, many times. This stuff is resilient.

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm dosing bacteria because I'm manually removing a lot of the chryo. I want something there to compete for resources - if I just remove it and do nothing, it will come back. I've tried doing nothing, many, many times. This stuff is resilient.

Are you using dry rock?
I've only seen something similar during the first year or so with dry rock. What I did was basically, manually try to remove as much as possible by hand and brush followed by water change. Check your source water as well. But, my guess is, it's your rock.

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using dry rock?
I've only seen something similar during the first year or so with dry rock. What I did was basically, manually try to remove as much as possible by hand and brush followed by water change. Check your source water as well. But, my guess is, it's your rock.

Yes, I started completely dead/dry with this build. Water coming out of my RODI system is 0 TDS, I have a 6 stage, BRS system.

pastelball

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have 0 nitrate for a while couple of my sps are dull. So saw this thread and decided to try first dose was last might. Did 4ml check about an hour later and finally had detectable nitrates. Have about 30 gallon tank with sump. Going to up it just a little tonight after seeing what it is tonight. Just glad to find this thread.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm taking a sample over to a local college and having a fellow reefer microbiologist take a look and identify what I have. If there are dinos living with the chrysophytes symbiotically, I'll be doing a treatment of metroplex to try and stop them from reproducing. If the dinos are providing the #chrysophytes with nutrients, disrupting that relationship hopefully will kill them off. I'm attempting Vibrant Aquarium Cleaner at the same time, so I hope the 1-2-3 punch of killing off their food supply, physical removal, and vibrant bacteria will be too much for them.

Yes, I'd rather have dinos or cyano at this point. I've dealt with outbreaks of both in previous tanks. They're both easier to deal with than this stuff, imo.

Nitrate dosing will do it in either case.....but it's awesome if you will actually get a positive ID!!! Post pics and a movie from their microscope if possible! :)

I'm serious on the nitrate dosing though....since there's no real downside if you dose conservatively, I wouldn't wait. :)

Metro definitely has some downsides. IMO Vibrant is even a bit severe, but I'd surely try that before a drug like metro.

I'd give at least six months to nitrate dosing and system stabilizing before I did either of those. (Don't think it'd take that long to see results though.)

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate dosing will do it in either case.....but it's awesome if you will actually get a positive ID!!! Post pics and a movie from their microscope if possible! :)

I'm serious on the nitrate dosing though....since there's no real downside if you dose conservatively, I wouldn't wait. :)

Metro definitely has some downsides. IMO Vibrant is even a bit severe, but I'd surely try that before a drug like metro.

I'd give at least six months to nitrate dosing and system stabilizing before I did either of those. (Don't think it'd take that long to see results though.)

I documented everything here -

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...fy-treat-and-remove-it-from-your-tank.299585/

Didn't want to wait another six months with this slime, was at the point where I was considering breaking the tank down to tackle this crud. So far, so good.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think it's bacteria.

Do you have a thread where you documented this by chance?

Nice to come to this thread for the formula, the calculator and for updates, but troubleshooting the application to your tank is much easier in your own thread.

(Or you're welcome to PM me and I can go through it with you there....doesn't matter to me. :) )

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started to dose the Spectracide two week ago. Running a Zeovit system, was always at not detectable levels of no3.
Keeping no3 for 2 weeks now at the level of 1-2.5ppm. At this moment no any visible changes in the colors or anything.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back