Potential hazards of reefing?

Miami Reef

Reef Chem Enthusiast
View Badges
Joined
Sep 8, 2017
Messages
17,251
Reaction score
29,661
Location
Miami
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some real dangers of reefing?

I'm putting together a list of plausible hazards and even the wildest stories you’ve experienced or heard. Whether it's something that actually happened or nearly did, I want to hear it!


IMG_0543.png
 
I got a Vibrio infection and almost had my left hand amputated in November of 2023. Does that count?


Wear gloves, kids.
 
Always turn off the power to all equipment when hands are in the tank.
I have had palytoxin symptoms multiple times. I can not even touch my Rasta any longer, yet I just keep adding to my Zoanthid garden.
 
Fish bites.
I had a maroon clown draw blood.
Blue throat trigger took a chunk out of my finger.

I have to be very careful around blackwidow anemones they grab me and leave welts that burn.

Lots of close calls with my blackspot foxface. He loves to eat out of my hand and tries to rub upgainst it. Makes me very very nervous.
 
Electrical fires are a possibility if you do not keep an eye out for drips and salt creep.
Nice forgot to list it had a powerhead start spinning in bucket came home to a electric smell. The power strip internal gfi tripped preventing on.
 
Electrical fires are a possibility if you do not keep an eye out for drips and salt creep.
This is one of the aspects of reef keeping I’m very careful about! I always make sure I have drip loops and have everything hooked up to gfci outlets
 
Woke up one morning and my basement was raining. Wasn’t quite sure if it was a burst pipe Or the union on my external skimmer that came loose 🤔
 
What are some real dangers of reefing?

I'm putting together a list of plausible hazards and even the wildest stories you’ve experienced or heard. Whether it's something that actually happened or nearly did, I want to hear it!


IMG_0543.png
Obsession
 
One time I read a story of a reefer having DI resin exploding on their face during changing, and needing to go to the hospital because a bead got into their eye.
 
One time I read a story of a reefer having DI resin exploding on their face during changing, and needing to go to the hospital because a bead got into their eye.
That can actually happen if you try regenerating it with hydrochloric acid first, instead of sodium hydroxide. Wear glasses folks, lol.
 
What are some real dangers of reefing?

I'm putting together a list of plausible hazards and even the wildest stories you’ve experienced or heard. Whether it's something that actually happened or nearly did, I want to hear it!


IMG_0543.png
I got punched by a mantis shrimp once.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 6.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new