Potential new Build/rehab

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started at a new school. Today I was asked to take over a tank that has been basically abandoned in the building for years (5 to be exact) they have topped it off and fed a single clown fish but done no maintenance or water changes. Looking for ideas to turn this thing into something that will
Impact students. Shallow reef? Mangrove lagoon?

FC270594-B40D-4A6C-8059-1303AF6AFE7E.jpeg 71D8558E-C8AC-41AA-B1FC-FB18B424EE58.jpeg D2399F23-D366-4438-B901-0BFC7BD9C020.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took possession of Tank this morning Build is on… it is in need of quite a bit of Rehab…

Attachments

• A4ACB186-1CEB-48F7-ABD9-799910E8C666.jpeg
    A4ACB186-1CEB-48F7-ABD9-799910E8C666.jpeg
    215.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 6A62542F-3236-4CB9-BCD4-AACD96F8A8A3.jpeg
    6A62542F-3236-4CB9-BCD4-AACD96F8A8A3.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 63
OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently the skimmer hasn’t worked in a long time (years) which explains the water condition I. The tank. Afraid that correcting to quickly could send fish into shock, so did 10% water change and added a skimmer today. Will slowly bring water to pristine condition and then start building from there.
2FA424DA-3327-452F-9A08-5001C02595F2.jpeg

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*** Update*** we were able to pull and clean the Carbon canister from the sump yesterday, added a new bag of carbon this morning. The carbon had not been changed in at least 3 years based on the memory of the teacher who was feeding the fish. They had "forgotten about it". I am needing to order a UV bulb for the onboard sterilizer hoping that will clear up water some. That and changing from dechlorinated tap water to RODI water should make a huge difference. Currently have 2 clowns in the tank and have a Lunar Wrasse ( not sure if it is a wise choice please chime in) in QT. Would like a tang and maybe a fox face in here we are starting with fish then will build shallow reef around them.

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were able to get our new screen top assembled and installed this morning. Still waiting for metal shop to finish our light rail mount for the Viparspectras, coral are in holding in frag tank until lights are installed. I added a picture of the frag tank below as well.

Unknown.jpeg

20 Gallon Tall Frag Tank. Light is a Gen 1 Radion XR30W still looking for an AB+ file for it if anyone has one., Powerhead 1 660 gph Eflux . Not sure if I need more or not chime in if you have any thoughts please. Fish a clown and right now a very young Lunar wrasse (until I find him a home) want. to add a file fish and a sixline wrasse.

Unknown-1.jpeg

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could do a mixed reef tank combining soft corals, macro algae, and mangroves. This could be a way to teach students about the diverse ecosystem through the complex balance of organisms.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks pretty good to me for 5 years with no maintenance.

Will leave it to more experienced people to make suggestions but just a couple of questions:
-- what age level "school" are we talking about?
-- is this in a classroom where courses are geared towards a specific area of study or just open to the "school" in general.

I see the "touch tank for kids" sign so, if that's the goal, things that are hardy and, well, you know, "touchable" and/or "pick-up-able" would be nice.

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I teach High School, 9-12 grade special education. It is in a classroom geared toward science education, but is open to visits from all science students school wide for learning. I would not refuse any student the chance to observe the tank and ask questions about the inhabitants and system. It is a “touch tank for kids “ system that was obtained through a grant to my understanding about 7 years back at this school. The current build is not designed for kids to put their hands in the tank but rather to demonstrate the life on a reef and teach Marine biology and ocean health.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I teach High School, 9-12 grade special education. It is in a classroom geared toward science education, but is open to visits from all science students school wide for learning. I would not refuse any student the chance to observe the tank and ask questions about the inhabitants and system. It is a “touch tank for kids “ system that was obtained through a grant to my understanding about 7 years back at this school. The current build is not designed for kids to put their hands in the tank but rather to demonstrate the life on a reef and teach Marine biology and ocean health.
I see.
The sign had me thinking "tidepool" environment like I grew up around/in and that many professional aquariums model touch tanks around.

...none of that helps you at all but I'll be following as I'm genuinely interested in seeing what you do and how it works out.

Very fun/useful and just flat out COOL project though...

OP
OP
James Hammett

James Hammett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got our lights up today. Need to clean up the cable management tomorrow but we are in business. Also got water being made as well so we are on our way!!!!

lights up.jpg
l4.jpg
l3.jpg
l2.jpg

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You mentioned a 6 lined wrasse. I have read that they are very aggressive. I would definitely research first. IMO flasher wrasses or fairy wrasses would be better options and would also add a bright splash of color.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back