Potential Velvet

kesuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the last 2 weeks, I've now lost 3 fish and I'm starting to think it may be velvet, unsure what to do. Per this thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/sick-clownfish.709610/, I lost a newly added Tomini tang after he appeared healthy for about a week. A few days after that my smaller of two clownfish started acting lethargic but otherwise didn't seem to exhibit any outward signs of disease, he passed over the next 2 days. About two days after that I could no longer find my mandarine Goby, I never found the body but presumed dead. I took a very close look at him the day before he disappeared, he had no visible symptoms and was happily hunting pods on the rocks as usual.

The day the Mandarine disappeared a bunch of medicine I ordered finally arrived, Prazi pro, Kanaplex, focus, Metroplex, Furan2 and Copper Power. I dosed the tank with Prazi pro and fed the fish pellets soaked in the other medicines. At this point, for fish, I have one Clownfish and 1 McCoskers flasher Wrasse left in the tank. They both ate and actually appeared to be doing much better, swimming normally and eating a lot, so I was hoping it had been flukes or some sort of internal parasite. Today after 3 days of treatment I removed the Prazi with Carbon and noticed that the clown has spent the entire day swimming into the powerhead. He still eats normally and comes over to the glass when I approach but otherwise swims into the current.

If the light catches him just right I think there are smallish specks on him pictures attached. Now I'm not sure what to do, he appears healthy otherwise and I don't want to overreact/poison him with copper but I'd hate to lose him now. My original plan had been to redose Prazi 7 days after the first and continue feeding the medicated food for 10 days. One other complication, I do not have a copper test available, I ordered a Hanna checker but it likely won't arrive until Thursday.

If it is velvet I'm not 100% sure the next course of action. Would it be best to Freshwater dip him and move to QT with copper or straight to QT? I have a 10 gallon tank for QT, I was thinking of adding 6ml of copper power to try and hit 1.0 copper based on the calculations in this thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ratios-for-dosing-copper-power.385871/ and then dose 1ml per day till Thursday which hopefully would hit around 1.5 in the tank and I'd then have the tester.

So I guess I'm looking for, do you guys think this is velvet? And if so what are my next steps? FW dip both fish, just the clown? Move to QT with the Copper? Thanks in advance for any help.

The below came from live photos and I had to flip through frames to see the specks, they are nearly impossible to see without the camera.

IMG-0766.jpg
IMG-0774.jpg

OP
OP
kesuk

kesuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's my main concern, or that the clown isn't handling it well since he's swimming into the powerhead. Does this look or sound like velvet to you? I've mostly convinced myself it's velvet but I've never seen it before, and this doesn't seem to match the photos I've seen of it. I'm worried that the stress of removal/dips/copper could kill them unnecessarily if I'm wrong.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sign seem like classic sign of velvet, swimming into power head, rapid deaths, and the excessive tiny spots. Id it were me I would move forward with a 5 minute FWD to provide temporally relief for the fish. It will remove any free swimmers and give em a head start in QT. Because velvet kills quickly and you don't have a test yet dose as mention to 1.0ppm and do your very best to ramp up over 2 days, better to dose on the side of action. Then you can test on Thursday.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back