Potter's angel not eating

kraken14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a potter's angelfish four days ago and it has not eaten any of the food I have offered it. I have tried frozen mysis, brine, LRS reef frenzy, hikari angelfish blend, and some pellets and it has not shown interest. I had a potter's previously that ate anything I put in the tank, so I am a little concerned. Is this just due to the acclimation period or is this something I should be worried about? The fish is about 3.5 inches long and about half an inch thick right now. It doesn't appear to be losing any weight as of the moment.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absent any details about your tank, hard to offer any useful advice other than they are temperamental fish and can be hard to get eating (thus the difficult designation).

Z Burn's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you have a LFS near by that has live blackworms, i always have good success starting with those first then moving over to frozen foods

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try live blackworms as mentioned. Also try clam on half shell.

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Masstick if you can get it is also another option - worked good for me with a majestic that wouldn't eat

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potter's are known to be difficult to get feeding, once you do then they are generally okay. As with any Centropyge Angel it's not uncommon for them to come in and do nothing but algae grazing for a bit and then adapt as time passes. Dry Seaweed/Nori is actually what I recommend for any Centropyge Angel when they first end up in the tank as they often go for it first and then move on to a more mixed diet (ie Reef Frenzy).

gonzo620

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the dry seaweed. In my case I had a flame angel that was terrified of the veggie clip in Qt. It didn’t chill out till I started to rubber band the nori to a chunk of rubble. Helpful tip

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large adult angelfish whether pygmy or large take time to get eating versus smaller juveniles. It took me 4 weeks to get an adult regal angel to eat once. With juveniles they normally eat the next day. With your fish being fat you have some time before this becomes a issue.

fltt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had an adult Regal Angel that wouldn't eat nor did it show any interest in eating. I wrapped some LRF in the Nori and attached it with a florescent colored rubber band to a piece of Live rock. I think the Regal thought the florescent rubber band was a sponge and started to rip at the rubber band, while doing so he ripped the Nori and ate it, then some LRF came out and he started eating the LRF. It took several days doing this before he was comfortable eating during normal feeding. Hope this helps Good Luck.

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a similar problem, maybe coincidence but mine ate for the first time after I dosed the tank with Poly Lab poly-booster (trying to get a feeding response to some corals). Something in that seemed to get him swimming all over and then I added some Rods food he slowly started pecking at tiny pieces, then progressed to eating large chunks.

It was my favorite fish,,,, until he found an appetite for my Acan flesh (had to go back to LFS). Watch your softies if you have some (blasto's and acan's in particular). Best of luck and try black worms too like others said if you can find.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It started eating nori last night!

You should be okay then, just keep feeding it that and then progressively start adding other things to it's diet. People often forget that Centropyge are Omnivores and they are algae grazers in the wild with meat on the side. So when people introduce them and attempt to feed meat, they are looking for something more like their standard staple in the wild.

Promodcrazy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I hope you got your potter eating by now I have had mine 2 months now and she started eating omega one color mini pellets she loves them and the veggie pallets after I moved her into my display tank a 50gl reef tank with emaculent water conditions I introduced her to sheet alge it took her a week to get used to it and she says it now . she is the queen of the tank . I might add she was only 2.5" when I got her and mini pellets were right size for her to eat not small pellets she nibble on them but never swallow them. Mini is ideal size.
0828190928.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back