Potters angel swimming in front of powerhead

Empire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi yall - I’m noticing weird behavior from my potters angel that’s been in my tank for two years. Last Saturday, I purchased a bellus angel and a naso tang. I did not qt since my lfs said they preconditioned the fish I think just hypo and copper. Big mistake. On sunday, my potters angel started swimming directly in front of my mp40. It swims in front of it for 30 seconds or so, then swims around the tank normally. Then will go back and do the same. I have a gem tang that’s been in the tank for 6 months now, clowns 2 years, benggais 2 years and those 2 new additions I mentioned earlier. All of the other fish do not do the same behavior. All of the fish including the potters have no visible signs of sickness. No cloudy eyes, spots, stringy poo, etc. all of the fish including potters are eating normally (rods and nori). If I do need to medicate, what can I use that’s 150% reef safe for a sps dominated tank? I really appreciate any insight you can give. Worried about my potters and it spreading to my other fish.I hope the video post works! Also pasted YouTube link https://youtube.com/shorts/GtdTnTYuaDI?feature=share

Last edited:
OP
OP
Empire

Empire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a picture of her swimming in front of the powerhead

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 52

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Trying the video again
Images extremely dark but seeing that it is swimming in front of power head suggests velvet. Your current appears to be quite strong in the tank also.
velvet spots on the fish that are much finer than the spots seen in Ich making it harder to catch until in cases too late to treat.
Some behaviors associated with a fish with velvet are :
- Scratching body against hard objects
- Fish is lethargic
- Loss of appetite and weight loss
- Rapid, labored breathing
- Fins clamped against the body
- rapid breathing and mucus around the gills

Fish with velvet will typically stay at the surface of the water, or remain in a position where a steady flow of water is present in the aquarium. As the disease progresses outwards from the gills, the cysts then become visible on the fins and body. Although these cysts may appear as tiny white dots the size of a grain of salt, like the first sign of Saltwater Ich or White Spot Disease, what sets Oodinium apart from other types of ich is that at this point the fish have the appearance of being coated with what looks like a whitish or tan to golden colored, velvet-like film, thus the name Velvet Disease.
Remove fish from main tank and give them a FW dip or bath and then place them into a QT with vigorous aeration provided. Treat the fish in the QT with a copper-based medication. Although many over-the-counter remedies contain the general name as ich or ick treatments, carefully read the box to be sure it is specifically designed to target Oodinium. My choice is coppersafe at 2.25-2.5 therapuetic level at 80 degrees monitored by a reliable test kit (no api brand either)

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potters just love to swim nonstop all day everyday. They’re little power houses.

If there’s no white spots, just enjoy.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd vid works. Hope it’s not oodinium, stuff is seriously nasty, I lost a whole tank to it, very rapidly. Same situation, non qt fish that was living in copper water so couldn’t see the infection till it got in my tank.

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you see white spots or powder? If not then that’s just a potters being a potters. They love to swim and swim distance

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And always QT - then you won’t find yourself in these situations with fish’s life at risk

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, monitor for spots or the white film.
But if the potters eratic swimming is the only thing you see, then do not be alarmed. All they want to do is eat algae and swim.

QT every time. Not worth it. Spread the word : )

OP
OP
Empire

Empire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, monitor for spots or the white film.
But if the potters eratic swimming is the only thing you see, then do not be alarmed. All they want to do is eat algae and swim.

QT every time. Not worth it. Spread the word : )
Understood. What kind of spots should I be looking for? White spots? Would it be a singular spot or a cluster? Where would the spots first appear?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the potter's is still eating well today, I think you can rule out velvet/Amyloodinium. The fist symptom of that is rapid breathing. Then the fish typically stops feeding. After that, they tend to swim into currents. Finally, they develop glassy eyes and sometimes a light dusting on their bodies and then they die. Often this is in a span of 72 hours.

Jay

OP
OP
Empire

Empire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. I’m working from home today so will have the ability to observe all day. I’ll take a video again once the lights are on. I will try feeding a little shortly. Potters ate plenty last night. I really do appreciate the help!!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 22.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 77 72.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.7%
Back