Potters Angel

TankLife87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a potters angel which is about 4” long. He is a big fella. I have only had the fish 2 weeks and it isn’t eating any frozen shrimp, brine, mysis, marine cuisine, or any food I feed.
The fish is however picking algae off rocks and off the glass and swimming and seems very healthy.

Anyone ever encounter this? Anything I can do.

All my parameters are within healthy range and all other fish are happy and eating as normal.

5864865cd082f3677b2a4c91d7873d9c.jpg

67chevellemalibu2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about getting one. I have been reading they are difficult to take care of , possibly due to the way they are captured.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if you can find some live black worms locally. That usually does the trick to get them to start eating in a tank.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since he is picking food from the rocks it does sound promising, these guys can be difficult to get started, they are not use to eating from the water column. Try live brine shrimp, then mixing in with frozen brine, then mixing in mysis; you gotta try and trick him. Smashing some masstick into a coral skeleton or rock for him to pick on is also a good try; the ocean nutrition cubes with the gel binder is good for this also.

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of them and they didn’t take prepared food for a very long time. Now they eat pellets and everything else.

The first food mine would eat was Docs Eco Eggs. They’re oyster eggs. First they would only eat them off substrate then eventually from the water column, then they started eating anything else. There are a few egg products out there. I would give fish eggs, or oyster eggs, a try along with everything else mentioned above. Throw as a wide a variety at him as you can until you find something he’ll get started on. Frozen mysis stuck in a TwoLittleFishies mesh pouch might be worth a try also.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potters is among the trickier of the dwarf angels, particularly the bigger ones. They are obsessive grazers so that it has enough rock is critical. Not at all unusual for it to refuse prepared foods, just keep offering variety and hopefully something tempts it.

Carterfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try one of the angel blends of prepared frozen food. He might pick at that or at least like the sponge offered in it.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a potters angel which is about 4” long. He is a big fella. I have only had the fish 2 weeks and it isn’t eating any frozen shrimp, brine, mysis, marine cuisine, or any food I feed.
The fish is however picking algae off rocks and off the glass and swimming and seems very healthy.

Anyone ever encounter this? Anything I can do.

All my parameters are within healthy range and all other fish are happy and eating as normal.

5864865cd082f3677b2a4c91d7873d9c.jpg

Very common for Dwarf Angels. My Coral Beauty did this for the first week before it adapted to Seaweed and then Reef Frenzy.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back