Potter's angelfish for sale on reef beauties.. how?

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Figured this is probably my best bet to try and keep a Regal since they can be tricky with eating. Dont want to be out like 400 bucks if I cant get it to eat. The one I got is 5-6 inches. Just doesnt say if its tank raised or wild caught.
Please update us on the quality of the fish and your over all experience with them. I checked out their website and was impressed with what they had. They have very good prices and the free shipping is an added bonus.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do say that that map was "computer generated and has not yet been reviewed". It's the exact same map that they use for many other indo-pacific fish. Only a few lines down, under Distribution, they list the areas which I've given. If you look at the iNaturalist map of reported sightings, the closest to Indonesia reported are a single sighting from Micronesia and another from Taiwan, both thousands of kilometers away. I would like to see more evidence than a single map that these fish are "everywhere" in Indonesia.
I'm sorry but it doesn't matter enough to me to do deep digging to prove something that affects me in no way whatsoever. I used an official websites map. Perhaps there's an issue with the coordinates instead of the map.

fangelillo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems sketchy TBH

Edit: Seems like a legit site and even saw some good reviews. Possibly they just haven't updated since the ban? I don't see how anyone would have potters for only $100 right now.
I just ordered a Scopas tang, Yellow headed goby and some snails. Came super fast and in great shape. The Tang ate right away. Just did another for some hermits etc. No complaints so far

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef beauties has wild potter's angelfish for sale. I thought they were only found in Hawaii, and for $100, seems too cheap to be from a tank break down. Are they caught in other areas?

image (1).png
I don’t believe it!

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Beauties is a great shop, very responsive customer service and healthy animals both times I've ordered. I'm sure they would respond if you emailed them asking the source for the potters, I'm actually very intrigued now.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please update us on the quality of the fish and your over all experience with them. I checked out their website and was impressed with what they had. They have very good prices and the free shipping is an added bonus.
Yeah! Ive looked at them a few times but always went with a vendor I ordered from. Decided to take the chance since Ive wanted both these fish a while now! I will for sure update and post pictures of them when they come!

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ordered from them a few times. Never an issue. They update their inventory twice a week. I'm pretty certain both of my local lfs order from them wholesale.

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the prices for their fish. 15 day garante. And free shipping! Not bad.

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One of LFS in NYC mentioned that Potter’s are expected to come back on the market soon and that they are showing up on wholesaler lists. I also saw that Aquatic Collection in the Bay Area had them on their new stock list on 6/23.

OP
OP
S

Solasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of LFS in NYC mentioned that Potter’s are expected to come back on the market soon and that they are showing up on wholesaler lists. I also saw that Aquatic Collection in the Bay Area had them on their new stock list on 6/23.
That is really interesting. Did they note any other Hawaii species being listed?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef beauties has wild potter's angelfish for sale. I thought they were only found in Hawaii, and for $100, seems too cheap to be from a tank break down. Are they caught in other areas?

image (1).png
Honestly, that’s about right for a tank break down specimen. I’ve seen tank break down potter’s for sale around $100-$200. It’s always possible one was collected from a neighbouring island as well as singular fish can migrate down ever so often (It’s not uncommon for some species to be found in other areas).

Figured this is probably my best bet to try and keep a Regal since they can be tricky with eating. Dont want to be out like 400 bucks if I cant get it to eat. The one I got is 5-6 inches. Just doesnt say if its tank raised or wild caught.
Likelihood is that is a wild caught specimen - Regals grow painfully slow and the CB specimens haven’t been out for long enough to allow some of them to mature to 5-6” specimens. Maybe 2-3” but I wouldn’t expect any bigger for even the oldest CB specimens.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, that’s about right for a tank break down specimen. I’ve seen tank break down potter’s for sale around $100-$200. It’s always possible one was collected from a neighbouring island as well as singular fish can migrate down ever so often (It’s not uncommon for some species to be found in other areas).

Likelihood is that is a wild caught specimen - Regals grow painfully slow and the CB specimens haven’t been out for long enough to allow some of them to mature to 5-6” specimens. Maybe 2-3” but I wouldn’t expect any bigger for even the oldest CB specimens.
Yeah Im expecting the regal to be wild for sure. Ive got a 32 biocube that Ive been raising brine shrimp in that Im thinkinf about putting him in while trying to teach him frozen foods. For sure will be posting about that when I get him for best suggestions if he isnt having that

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah Im expecting the regal to be wild for sure. Ive got a 32 biocube that Ive been raising brine shrimp in that Im thinkinf about putting him in while trying to teach him frozen foods. For sure will be posting about that when I get him for best suggestions if he isnt having that
IME regals are easier than many make them out to be, the hardest part to them is the shipping phase. Other than that it’s rather easy to get them feeding in my experience. Here’s my wild caught specimen, she eats everything and anything.
IMG_5811.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do say that that map was "computer generated and has not yet been reviewed". It's the exact same map that they use for many other indo-pacific fish. Only a few lines down, under Distribution, they list the areas which I've given. If you look at the iNaturalist map of reported sightings, the closest to Indonesia reported are a single sighting from Micronesia and another from Taiwan, both thousands of kilometers away. I would like to see more evidence than a single map that these fish are "everywhere" in Indonesia.
If it helps, in an Indonesian import we got hold of 2-3 Yellow Tangs. The issue is that yellows in Indonesia are much deeper down than in Hawaii so fewer divers are willing to go down to those depths and collect them.

One of the biggest things I hate about yellows is this situation of them only being known to come from Hawaii and being ‘impossible’ to get hold of when it’s likely some of us have Indonesian Yellows and not Hawaiian Yellows.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back