Potter's angelfish for sale on reef beauties.. how?

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, the captive bred Tigerpyge is actually cheaper than biota's captive bred Potter's Angels. Something about that seems off...

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, the captive bred Tigerpyge is actually cheaper than biota's captive bred Potter's Angels. Something about that seems off...

How so? The Tiger is on sale. Also maybe there is a difference in the path to production. I'm not sure how many batches Biota has released of the Potter's but maybe one or two at most. They need some time to work on production for the masses. If there is hobbyist interest of course.

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How so? The Tiger is on sale. Also maybe there is a difference in the path to production. I'm not sure how many batches Biota has released of the Potter's but maybe one or two at most. They need some time to work on production for the masses. If there is hobbyist interest of course.
Just thought the Tigerpyge was much more rare/sought after, so I was surprised to see one going for a discount that's cheaper than the price of a Potter's. Also I thought they were even harder to produce since I don't think they're guaranteed, even if you get the hybrid breeding necessary. Admittedly this is all very outside of my wheelhouse since I would never pay any where close to these prices for a fish, so I could be completely off.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potter’s angels are Greta fish. Had one for many years and gave it up cause I thought it was nipping SPS many years back. My only regret in feeding. Would love to be able to buy one again. It’s not always easy finding one that acclimated to aquarium life tho.

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought the Tigerpyge was much more rare/sought after, so I was surprised to see one going for a discount that's cheaper than the price of a Potter's. Also I thought they were even harder to produce since I don't think they're guaranteed, even if you get the hybrid breeding necessary. Admittedly this is all very outside of my wheelhouse since I would never pay any where close to these prices for a fish, so I could be completely off.
Just from the pictures that tigerpyge looks to be “lower quality” which is probably why it is on sale for much cheaper. Just looks like the more generic halfblack/lemon peel hybrids which are much less sought after.

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just from the pictures that tigerpyge looks to be “lower quality” which is probably why it is on sale for much cheaper. Just looks like the more generic halfblack/lemon peel hybrids which are much less sought after.
Ah I see. That makes sense.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potter’s angels are Greta fish. Had one for many years and gave it up cause I thought it was nipping SPS many years back. My only regret in feeding. Would love to be able to buy one again. It’s not always easy finding one that acclimated to aquarium life tho.
From what I understand, Potter's angelfish is a subtropical fish, it's not collected a few meters from the surface and in many cases this is overlooked and a good number of fish don't end up adapting to the different temperatures of the tanks , when it's classified as 'expert only', its maintenance must be much more demanding than other fish IMO. I don't know if captive-bred fish would keep this label.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand, Potter's angelfish is a subtropical fish, it's not collected a few meters from the surface and in many cases this is overlooked and a good number of fish don't end up adapting to the different temperatures of the tanks , when it's classified as 'expert only', its maintenance must be much more demanding than other fish IMO. I don't know if captive-bred fish would keep this label.
A CB fish will still have its difficulties, and IMO a CB fish is more prone to disease than a WC fish.

A Captive Bred Fish’s immune system hasn’t been opened to all these new diseases and parasites like Ich, Velvet, Flukes, etc. Instead it’s been raised in a sterile environment around nothing but it’s own relatives which chances are also have some form of deformity.
On the other hand, a WC fish will have been around countless diseases throughout its whole life. It will have faced ich, velvet, flukes, internal parasites and likely fought them off. So if it faces that same disease it’s immune system will be ready to attack that same issue.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't know how fish are priced honestly nor what the rarity scale is. Nor do I know what all goes into producing marine ornamental fish. It seems more challenging than freshwater. I do wonder what all goes into the path to production and it seems a bit overwhelming - to me.

In any case there we cannot get Potter's today outside of Biota. Similar to the Yellow Tang. Both of which I guess could get passed between aquarist or collected by the locals, for locals, in Hawaii. There are some fish that once were for collectors only (Cuban Basslet) costing North of $3,500 US but now readily available to all for a couple hundred.

I guess what I'm thinking, my opinion, is first few batches may cost more due to working out production, healthy, and yield with prices coming down in time. Who knows.

Hope your day is going well!

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know how fish are priced honestly nor what the rarity scale is. Nor do I know what all goes into producing marine ornamental fish. It seems more challenging than freshwater. I do wonder what all goes into the path to production and it seems a bit overwhelming - to me.

In any case there we cannot get Potter's today outside of Biota. Similar to the Yellow Tang. Both of which I guess could get passed between aquarist or collected by the locals, for locals, in Hawaii. There are some fish that once were for collectors only (Cuban Basslet) costing North of $3,500 US but now readily available to all for a couple hundred.

I guess what I'm thinking, my opinion, is first few batches may cost more due to working out production, healthy, and yield with prices coming down in time. Who knows.

Hope your day is going well!

The funny thing is that as expensive as some saltwater fish get, those prices don’t hold a candle to some freshwater species. Certain asian arowanas in China have gone for as high as $300k.

I’m hoping that the Biota Potters go down in price soon. I don’t think I can get drunk enough to justify the $900 price tag esp. if wild collection is on the horizon.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The funny thing is that as expensive as some saltwater fish get, those prices don’t hold a candle to some freshwater species. Certain asian arowanas in China have gone for as high as $300k.

I’m hoping that the Biota Potters go down in price soon. I don’t think I can get drunk enough to justify the $900 price tag esp. if wild collection is on the horizon.
If I'm not mistaken Asian Arowanas are not only endangered but also hold a very special cultural value.

SimbaAnto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the yellow tangs, one of my buddy who is doing business for Fish and coral sales,
IME regals are easier than many make them out to be, the hardest part to them is the shipping phase. Other than that it’s rather easy to get them feeding in my experience. Here’s my wild caught specimen, she eats everything and anything.
IMG_5811.jpeg
That's true, my Rock beauty angel which is a wild caught, eats anything and everything

SimbaAnto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it helps, in an Indonesian import we got hold of 2-3 Yellow Tangs. The issue is that yellows in Indonesia are much deeper down than in Hawaii so fewer divers are willing to go down to those depths and collect them.

One of the biggest things I hate about yellows is this situation of them only being known to come from Hawaii and being ‘impossible’ to get hold of when it’s likely some of us have Indonesian Yellows and not Hawaiian Yellows.
One of my friend who is in the fish and coral selling, sourced atleast 20 yellow tangs which he is selling at $250 a price. Don't know how he sourced it despite the ban. Not sure if those are from Indo.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the yellow tangs, one of my buddy who is doing business for Fish and coral sales,

That's true, my Rock beauty angel which is a wild caught, eats anything and everything

Mind if I ask how long have you had your Rock Beauty and in what sort of reef? They are an amazing fish. Great job if you have had it for any lenght of time.

SimbaAnto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mind if I ask how long have you had your Rock Beauty and in what sort of reef? They are an amazing fish. Great job if you have had it for any lenght of time.
PXL_20230707_160012082.MP.jpg
for about an year now. He is in a mixed reef. Strictly not touching corals. He eats Nori, Mysis, Brine, Reef Rod, half shell clams.
PXL_20230707_155941977.MP.jpg

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20230707_160012082.MP.jpg
for about an year now. He is in a mixed reef. Strictly not touching corals. He eats Nori, Mysis, Brine, Reef Rod, half shell clams.
PXL_20230707_155941977.MP.jpg

Thak you for the reply and sharing. Probably my favorite fish. Looks chunky and healthy :) Well don't tell it I said chunky please as it may get upset.

Great display and again thank you kindly.

SimbaAnto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thak you for the reply and sharing. Probably my favorite fish. Looks chunky and healthy :) Well don't tell it I said chunky please as it may get upset.

Great display and again thank you kindly.
@areefer01 Yes one of my favorite too. I am a fan of Bicolor and Rock beauty. My 4 year old Bicolor died in a tank crash and got the RB by chance. I always like to have Flame, Coral Beauty and Bicolor or RB together. Luckily none of them picked my corals

My Bicolor pic which was taken a year back before I lost him.
PXL_20221027_164459982.PORTRAIT.jpg

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what the problem is?… site keeps adding my post to your quote…

Anyway, kept those 3 together in the 70’s and 80’s, thinking to add another RB in a few months

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a rock beauty about twenty five years ago. He had a ravenous appetite and ate all foods that I fed him. In a year, he doubled in size and started to grow streamers. After about a year, he started to go blind and had to be put down when he couldn't find food. I figured that they are supposedly heavy feeders on sponge that he lacked a nutrient in his diet. Last year, I tried another rock beauty. I thought that with all of the new foods for angels that I would have a better result. Sadly, he had the same problem. He was chunky and active, growing from three inches to six inches. He too went blind. Broke my heart when I had to put him down.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 163 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back