Potters Wrasse

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the demise, last year, of my long-in-the-tooth potters leopard wrasse I have been keeping an eye out for a replacement. Not as easy to find as they used to be, and certainly more expensive, but LA recently had some come up for sale. It's the first time I have ordered an expert only fish since they changed their guarantee policy. They came in very nicely though - not too big, not too small and already eating. Doesn't mean they won't be dead tomorrow of course, but I am cautiously optimistic.

TessGlo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing video, very exciting. I've had one for 3 years now and he is hands down one of my favorite. How old was your long in the tooth potters before you lost it?

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd had him (I believe it was a him) for about 5 years. I don't know for sure that it was old age, as I have other leopards that are over 6 years under my care. Other than size as a proxy, don't know for sure how old they were when I got them.

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck. Definitely one of the most beautiful leopard wrasses.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great! Gorgeous fish, I have been very hesitant ordering difficult fish online after i ordered an h. Idris from LA that was quite ill on arrival. Not bashing LA wrasses are notorious for hiding illness till the last minute.
hoping you get another several years of this pair :)

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The expert only policy now states, I'm paraphrasing, 'arrive alive and in good condition'. What is good condition? One of the potters was floating in the bag upon arrival and then sunk to the bottom. I emailed LA to tell them this and was advised that the guarantee would be valid through the end of that first day. Fish recovered, and now looks ok, but good to know for future orders.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're making me sad. I've had my Potter's a little over 5 years. I will be very sad when he passes. He eats from my hand and follows me around the tank when I'm doing maintenance.

Good luck with your new ones!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to think the total lifespan of Macropharyngodon species is in the 8-10 year range.
Not exactly scientific, but that seems to be about the average amount of time before they get that "old" look for the last year or two before they pass.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my top-5 fish. The small-net ban in Hawaii has made them very hard to import. RT used to have dozens of them every week and now rarely has any. I hope that they do well.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to think the total lifespan of Macropharyngodon species is in the 8-10 year range.
Not exactly scientific, but that seems to be about the average amount of time before they get that "old" look for the last year or two before they pass.

Hope you’re right. My favorite in my tank is a lapillus (not technically a leopard) and he’s 6.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dilemma now is that they are doing so well in QT, and look so good, that I wonder if I should just move them into the main display. Leopard wrasses aren't particularly susceptible to external skin parasites', though they are to internal ones. Hmmn …. what to do!!

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 19 20.2%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 56 59.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.3%

Back