OP
OP
E

Eoka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a PBT tang all the way. My nastiest and will not quit. they hover around fish in circles and totally annoy them with tail and try to steal all the food. I stopped recommending them to anyone seeking a tang recommendation
Yea I might just get a different tang than

OP
OP
E

Eoka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I added my juvi Heni, I noticed that the PBT went after it especially violently when it was around its grazing spots, the veggie clip, and one corner of the tank. That was for 3 days or so, eventually, it stopped.
Yea I think with tangs you either want one or many just so one can't get singled out

jimfish98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I added my juvi Heni, I noticed that the PBT went after it especially violently when it was around its grazing spots, the veggie clip, and one corner of the tank. That was for 3 days or so, eventually, it stopped.
Not shocking. Was over at TSA the other day and thy have a tank for some larger fish and one of the employees was talking about a tang and it getting aggressive over the veggie clip location. They have had to move the clip around to curb it.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I think I rather have the sailfin do you think I could add the sailfin first and wait awhile and than add the PBT or should I just trade the PBT for a different tang that would be more peaceful
It's your call. It's a great fish, but often too much of a problem. Maybe, if you can, trade him and get two other tangs at the same time from different families. If you like that body style, try Powder Brown or Chocolate Tang, both are very beautiful fish, totally underrated, and are not as psychotic as PBTs.

OP
OP
E

Eoka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's your call. It's a great fish, but often too much of a problem. Maybe, if you can, trade him and get two other tangs at the same time from different families. If you like that body style, try Powder Brown or Chocolate Tang, both are very beautiful fish, totally underrated, and are not as psychotic as PBTs.
Will they got well with a sailfin tang. I picked a sailfin because they get big and can become a tank boss due to size but there not very aggressive

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add a sailfin now, let it grow larger, and then add a smaller PBT you have a greater chance of success. But with that said, my PBT was introduced to the tank the same way, Yellow was and still is bigger, but that doesn't matter. They fight, it's nothing terrible, more like showing off with their spikes, but the Yellow did get cut last week.

OP
OP
E

Eoka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add a sailfin now, let it grow larger, and then add a smaller PBT you have a greater chance of success. But with that said, my PBT was introduced to the tank the same way, Yellow was and still is bigger, but that doesn't matter. They fight, it's nothing terrible, more like showing off with their spikes, but the Yellow did get cut last week.
Yea I saw that first hand. Don't worry there separated now.

Attachments

• 20230922_175457.mp4
    22.4 MB

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will they got well with a sailfin tang. I picked a sailfin because they get big and can become a tank boss due to size but there not very aggressive
You are asking a proud member of Tang Police. I have been on a force for many years. I would never add anything bigger than Acanthurus to a 125g. I think it's kinda mean. My favorite tang by far is Naso, but I just can't throw it into a 125g, too small for it.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I saw that first hand. Don't worry there separated now.
Pretty typical, except that the SF doesn't want to fight, and gets cornered. My Yellow fights back. I have a feeling that the SF would be bullied too much. It might change after a couple of days in a larger tank thou if you introduce the SF first, but it's still a coin flip.

OP
OP
E

Eoka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are asking a proud member of Tang Police. I have been on a force for many years. I would never add anything bigger than Acanthurus to a 125g. I think it's kinda mean. My favorite tang by far is Naso, but I just can't throw it into a 125g, too small for it.
They tank forever to grow its going to be years before he needs a bigger home and worst case my local aqaurium exepts fish donations for there 3000g mixed reef

OP
OP
E

Eoka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty typical, except that the SF doesn't want to fight, and gets cornered. My Yellow fights back. I have a feeling that the SF would be bullied too much. It might change after a couple of days in a larger tank thou if you introduce the SF first, but it's still a coin flip.
Yea true a PB will be a pain to catch out of my main tank

OP
OP
E

Eoka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They still have another 2-3 weeks in qt I might switch one over to a 10g just so they both have more space

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They tank forever to grow its going to be years before he needs a bigger home and worst case my local aqaurium exepts fish donations for there 3000g mixed reef
I just don't have the heart to give my fish away... I am a softie.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea true a PB will be a pain to catch out of my main tank
You will need 2-3 people with nets to make it easier. We had a situation with a PBT a couple of weeks ago here, and that's how the guy caught it in like 5 minutes. Granted, his scape was destroyed.

OP
OP
E

Eoka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need 2-3 people with nets to make it easier. We had a situation with a PBT a couple of weeks ago here, and that's how the guy caught it in like 5 minutes. Granted, his scape was destroyed.
Yea that wouldn't be fun

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't fool yourself, a well acclimated sail fin can be just as aggressive as any other tang on the market.

OP
OP
E

Eoka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't fool yourself, a well acclimated sail fin can be just as aggressive as any other tang on the market.
Yea that's true but it can be personality based right now I know I have a agressive PB idk about the SF yet

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back