Powder brown heading downhill

landyn.s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I’ve recently been barreling the dreading ich in my qt tank, it all started with a hippo “I know surprise right?”. For some reason Ive really struggled with these fish keeping them going. I seemed to have fixed the hippo he shows no signs of ich or any disease, my mimic is still going strong no signs of disease, shortly after my hippo being somewhat healthier my powder started showing spots, I’ve had them in cupramine at therapeutic dose since the 6th. Throughout all of this they have ate perfectly fine, today I found my powder swimming like this and the big white spots seem to be more prominent today. What else can I do to keep these beautiful fish alive? I’ve ran out of options.

* see my profile for first post about ich

Attachments

• IMG_6056.MOV
    38.3 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello, I’ve recently been barreling the dreading ich in my qt tank, it all started with a hippo “I know surprise right?”. For some reason Ive really struggled with these fish keeping them going. I seemed to have fixed the hippo he shows no signs of ich or any disease, my mimic is still going strong no signs of disease, shortly after my hippo being somewhat healthier my powder started showing spots, I’ve had them in cupramine at therapeutic dose since the 6th. Throughout all of this they have ate perfectly fine, today I found my powder swimming like this and the big white spots seem to be more prominent today. What else can I do to keep these beautiful fish alive? I’ve ran out of options.

Hate to say this but the fish is becoming moribund and has hemorrhaging on its facial area as well as the white patches which is bacterial and can be due to poor water quality despite other fish looking ok.
What copper product are you using and what level are you keeping it and what test kit are you using to monitor that level? How long have you been treating with copper?
What is your ammonia and nitrate level and how are you monitoring that ?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The number of spots on the tang aren’t enough to cause severe disease - something else is going on. The water is murky with a lot of particulates - that can be an issue with high ammonia and high bacterial levels. Also, the tang is thin and has some skin discoloration.

What is the Cupramine level?
Have you added any ammonia reducers?
What is the ammonia running at?

Jay

OP
OP
L

landyn.s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The number of spots on the tang aren’t enough to cause severe disease - something else is going on. The water is murky with a lot of particulates - that can be an issue with high ammonia and high bacterial levels. Also, the tang is thin and has some skin discoloration.

What is the Cupramine level?
Have you added any ammonia reducers?
What is the ammonia running at?

Jay
Cupramine has stayed right at .54ppm

absolutely no ammonia Reducers.

ammonia is non detectible, I do weekly 20% water changes religiously. That’s why the tank currently looks murky.

any ideas?

OP
OP
L

landyn.s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to say this but the fish is becoming moribund and has hemorrhaging on its facial area as well as the white patches which is bacterial and can be due to poor water quality despite other fish looking ok.
What copper product are you using and what level are you keeping it and what test kit are you using to monitor that level? How long have you been treating with copper?
What is your ammonia and nitrate level and how are you monitoring that ?
I use hannah HR copper checker daily never always .51-.54

ammonia non detectable due to weekly 20% water changes

OP
OP
L

landyn.s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing that I did different this time was adding micro bacteria 7 before starting qt?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I use hannah HR copper checker daily never always .51-.54

ammonia non detectable due to weekly 20% water changes
You mentioned weekly water changes- Are you replenishing copper?
I assume then chelated copper? If so, may be harsh on the fish as copper power or coppersafe a bit easier on such fish

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Only thing that I did different this time was adding micro bacteria 7 before starting qt?
I have 21 tangs and add micro Bacter 7 regularly - doubt if any effect

OP
OP
L

landyn.s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned weekly water changes- Are you replenishing copper?
I assume then chelated copper? If so, may be harsh on the fish as copper power or coppersafe a bit easier on such fish
Possibly, I always match and check copper.

I’m your alls opinion what is the best thing I can do to increase chance of survival?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Possibly, I always match and check copper.

I’m your alls opinion what is the best thing I can do to increase chance of survival?
Verify copper and ammonia not elevated, maintain oxygen and for the hemorrhaging, seachem kanaplex May help

Ken Goldsmith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How long have you had the fish?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back