Powder Brown won't eat...

weaponsofmassdesign

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 13, 2012
Messages
1,514
Reaction score
21
Location
Van Buren, AR
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this Tang for 24 hrs now. I have nori, soaked in VitaChem and Garlic Guard, clipped to the tank glass on the side and height he spends most time on. Just tried some mysis soaked in VitaChem and didn't go for it. He's not a timid fish. He swims right up to my hand and comes right up to me when I'm close to the tank. Looks very healthy and is about 2.5" to 3". Any suggestions on what I should be doing or what I should do next? This is the only fish in the tank and I have two Ocellaris clowns and a Yellow Watchman Goby in another tank that have never had problems eating.
 
Those situations drive me nuts. Give him some time and space and only occasionally offer food. I had a tang take sinking pellets once when he ignored everything else initially, but chances are if he is ignoring all of that stuff he will ignore the jpellets too. He'll be fine for a few days with no food and there probably isn't much you can do to get him eating, in my experience. Just wait it out and see what he does....he'll either eat or........
 
Maybe try some nori without the vita soaking. also if you have any macro algea to offer. Mine did the same thing finally ate plain nori. After that he ate anything put in the water.
 
Dang man, I hate that. Probably stressed from shipment. Where did you get it, and how long had they had it?
 
Geez. I am sorry. :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
 
24 hours without eating would not have caused a death. These fish go upwards of a week from collection to export/import without being fed and when brought into captivity can go on hunger strikes as long as 14 days with no long term ill effects. It does appear that the animal was suffering from poor handling somewhere in the chain of custody before you received it that led it to be susceptible to disease or other traumas.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new