Power cord management ideas?

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting Topic......

Why because I tried many of the methods. Over many years.
Split Wire Looms, Cable trays, Tie Wraps, conduits, wire holders, and clips.
Always seeking perfection and never quite possible to get perfect. Even now.

I think it varies depending on your setup. Tight Space, Tons of space, how much and what kind of equipment you have.

The one thing I've learned, is when you go for a tidy look (which is everyone's goal) , also think MAINTENANCE down the road.

What I mean is don't run your wires, so perfectly bundled and tight, and in any permanent way.
Unless you want the Perfect, One Time PHOTO Look. (That will fall apart over time)

Think that you'll have to remove the Skimmer, or the heater, or certainly the Pump to clean it.
Make that removal of the equipment, and the Wire easy with minimal disruption to the other wires.

(Avoid layers/Overlaps)....for example...
When I tried a Cable Tray (with a cover and space for wires), that still wasn't easy since the wire at the back was the one I needed to removed, and after the difficult removal things got tangled, so even harder next time to remove).

If you think while running/securing each wire, that you'll have to remove each one, Your result for Cable Management will be a success for the LONG RUN.

Let me show an example of a Move I did a few years ago, and improvements to my cord management. (still not perfect, but better)

This was my First Attempt (This room ran two tanks (two sumps), with a Tank directly above on Floor above)

2020-03-28_PerfectBefore.jpg

Although this is a room, not a cabinet, same concepts apply.

I did too many cable trays and permanently clamped wires, and it was a MAINTENANCE nightmare.

This (Below) was PERFECT and much easier to maintain!!

2020-03-28_PerfectMove.jpg

Just kidding :) .
That (above photo) was during the Upgrade (removing the 65 Gallon and replacing with a 110)
I had to keep both tanks running during Renovate.

This is how it ended
after the new Tank Installed, and new wiring approach.
2020-03-28_PerfectMoveAfter.jpg

Mostly same equipment (Just bigger tank), plus the change from MH to T5 LED so many more wires.

Still not perfect but what I do like is the INDIVIDUAL holes in wall, to just tuck in each wire, so hidden, loose and easy to remove. Seen better in photo below.
2020-03-28_wiringPockets.jpg

Also the Large Rectangular Conduits (Vertical and Horizontal) are ideal to loosely run wires, and plumbing.
Each conduit has hidden holds [side/underneath] (big enough for my hand to reach in an work on wires (remove/put-back) as needed)

....and one thing I learned THAT DOES NOT WORK for Maintainable Cable Management are Permanent Zip Ties!! (unless it's permanent wiring).
I say this because after you zip things perfectly into place, you have to cut them off to get wire loose.
You risk cutting the cord/insluation. during that process, which can damage or dangerously expose the wire.

I not too long ago discovered these...zip ties (never knew they existied)
https://www.cableorganizer.com/cable-ties-releasable/
RELEASABLE ZIP TIES. Love them.

THESE are Great TOO!! (ratcheting clips). Just don't use the sticky. Screw them in, and maybe get bigger not smaller for future wire additions.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner...ERCH=REC-_-pipsem-_-100201540-_-300360555-_-N

Just tossing out a bunch of ideas, since you asked.

And LAST but not least. THINK SAFETY. (GFCI outlets, drip loops, splash guards, and nothing on flat surface where water may pool.....etc)

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back