Power cut imminent!

Saintnovakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello team. I have an issue. All my powerheads etc are Jebao. No ecotech so the battery backup thing isnt happening. I was wondering if I got a cheap UPS and a very cheap low powered wavemaker that I'd leave in the tank just for surface agitation work better than buying a Coral box battery backup for the Jebao or one of the IceCap battery backups.

We've been having more and more frequent power cuts for 6hrs and I was, like this close to buying a UPS but then heard of the Sine wave Issue as well as the DC-AC-DC conversion that would drain more power if I used my Jebao. Any ideas?

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the Jebaos are 12v you can hook them up to either a car battery, or a deep cycle battery, using an inverter or trickle charger. Depending on size/number of pumps, it could last up to 30 hours or more.

The threat of a hurricane prompted a discussion about home battery backups on my local club's forum. It might contain some useful info for you:

OP
OP
Saintnovakai

Saintnovakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot. Issue is, the Jebao isn't like the ecotechs that have an additional port for a backup. Everything has to go through the adapter.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about using one of these to power all of my DC converted equipment:
Padarsey DC 24V 15A 360W Power Supply Universal Regulated Switching Transformer Adapter Driver 110V/220V AC Input for LED Strip CCTV Radio Computer Project
Then tie in a battery backup to the individual equipment necessary during outage. Not sure how to have the battery automatically kick in. Maybe just get a UPS and tie it in after the above adapter.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Icecap battery back ups are currently no in production and none to be had anyplace. How about an air pump With air stone on a battery back up?
There are battery operated air pumps but the batteries don’t last long. If you’re home during the outages it’s an option.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill have to find the link to the thread but this i researched to be the best option with the most run hours for an ecotech pump.

Screenshot_20191115-153022_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a portable generator for longer outages but it requires someone to be home to hook it up to run unless you hooked up an ATS with a more expensive, non pull cord gen. The 12v battery backups can last for nearly a week in some cases for flow.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good quality DC pumps can all run off of regular battery backups. I used both APC and CyberPower. Especially look for black Friday sales, I picked up two cyberpower 1500va units for less then $200 shipped 7 years ago.

AC pumps (think Danner MagDrive) need a more expensive sin wave APC if I remember this correctly, making it not worth it in the long run in my opinion.

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does it last though?

Icecap Battery Backup
Features

• Ideal Back Up for most 12volt pumps
  • Power Up to 2 Pumps
  • On average 35hr run time*
  • Connect 2 Battery Backups together and power one pump for double the backup time
  • Ideal Back Up for most 12-24volt pumps
  • Includes 3 sizes of adapter fittings

*On average 50w at 30% power single pump/single powercell.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my first reef tank a few years ago I lost power for three days. After a few hours I went to LFS and bought 2 battery powered air pumps and set the hoses in a filter bag filled with filter floss from the canister filters and carbon and put one on each side of the tank. I hooked the heater and a powerhead up to a converter that ran off my car battery. It worked and nothing died, thankfully. I didn't worry about the light.

Now I have battery backups on one power head, the heater and the return pump. But they will only run a for a few hours but I figure that's enough time to do something more drastic, like buy a generator.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good quality DC pumps can all run off of regular battery backups. I used both APC and CyberPower. Especially look for black Friday sales, I picked up two cyberpower 1500va units for less then $200 shipped 7 years ago.

AC pumps (think Danner MagDrive) need a more expensive sin wave APC if I remember this correctly, making it not worth it in the long run in my opinion.
The issue with the normal APC units as outlined in BRS's video states its the fault of the massive inverter that needs to be powered up in our units. They measured the 1500va units die the fastest with a small load from just one ecotech power head @ 4 to 5hrs.
Ill be reconfiguring my units to run something else like the lighting if i still have room after hooking up two deep cycle batteries.
Theyll outlast a cheap ecotech battery backup as well. The battery cells they use in those things are comical.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back