Power generator ?

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Power goes out-extended time

What type of generator would you recomend to have in hand for this situation?

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a Kill-a-Watt meter and plug all of your stuff for your tank into it so that you can determine how much power you need. Your generator choice will be based off of that number.

If you get a generator that is too big you will end up wasting a ton of gas. It is important that you have gas on hand for the length of time that the power will be out. Where I am from has seen up to 2 weeks of power loss I plan my gas on that amount. There can be gas delivered in that time but you have to gauge it and plan accordingly.

Another important note on this. It is a VERY good idea to do a dry run once you get the generator. I do mean a dry run. Turn the house off at the breaker to simulate a power outage. You need to do this because things like house heating and AC will skew your test. This will give you a good idea of holes that you have missed in your plan, without the actual danger of having to deal with things that you missed.

EDIT: I run a Honda EU2200

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a Kill-a-Watt meter and plug all of your stuff for your tank into it so that you can determine how much power you need. Your generator choice will be based off of that number.

If you get a generator that is too big you will end up wasting a ton of gas. It is important that you have gas on hand for the length of time that the power will be out. Where I am from has seen up to 2 weeks of power loss I plan my gas on that amount. There can be gas delivered in that time but you have to gauge it and plan accordingly.

Another important note on this. It is a VERY good idea to do a dry run once you get the generator. I do mean a dry run. Turn the house off at the breaker to simulate a power outage. You need to do this because things like house heating and AC will skew your test. This will give you a good idea of holes that you have missed in your plan, without the actual danger of having to deal with things that you missed.

EDIT: I run a Honda EU2200

I run a Honda 300is. And its better to buy a generator that is more than the tank needs. If you're going to run a generator to support the tank, you might as well make it big enough to run some other things in the house such as a furnace and refrigerator.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And its better to buy a generator that is more than the tank needs.
I disagree with this advice. If the generator is not near the demands of the tank you will end up burning more gas and also need to keep more gas on hand because of that.

Having a bigger generator on hand might work for short outages but extended outages will cause you to burn through your reserves too quickly.

For me I need to hold 30 gallons of gas for about a week and a half of run time. I really don't want to have to hold more gas than that especially with the cost of gas and the fact that you need to cycle the gas so it doesn't go bad and yes I use conditioners for my gas.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree with this advice. If the generator is not near the demands of the tank you will end up burning more gas and also need to keep more gas on hand because of that.

Having a bigger generator on hand might work for short outages but extended outages will cause you to burn through your reserves too quickly.

For me I need to hold 30 gallons of gas for about a week and a half of run time. I really don't want to have to hold more gas than that especially with the cost of gas and the fact that you need to cycle the gas so it doesn't go bad and yes I use conditioners for my gas.

I guess its a matter of perspective. If I'm running a generator, it will cover my tanks and other essential items such as my furnace, refrigerator and allow me to keep devices charged.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess its a matter of perspective. If I'm running a generator, it will cover my tanks and other essential items such as my furnace, refrigerator and allow me to keep devices charged.
The question will always be for how long.

That is all that I am saying.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not exactly what you're talking about but I just got a Jackery 240 for Christmas and am very pleased. I'm not in an area likely to get anything besides maybe hurricane remnants so it's highly unlikely that my power will be out for days at a time. However, it has gone out for 30-60min after a heavy storm, so this will make me feel much better. I've done some testing with it lately and was able to plug in my 4 powerheads to the device for 10 hours. Just wanted to throw this out there as another option if anyone else is in my situation.

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it all depends on where you live also. For me a power outage is from a thunderstorm so I can go out and buy more gas I don't need a week or two of gas on hand. I could see if you live in a Hurricane area that may be a different story. I have a generator that will run tank and household items like fridge and furnace.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 3500 watt that ran my tanks and several other household items at the same time.
That being said I can run whatever I want. In some places noise and other factors may become important.
I have a whole house generator now that runs on natural gas. The last time the power was out for 5 days. We had to rent a hotel room to take a bath. Not anymore.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If my power was off I don't think my wife would be too happy about me running a generator to keep the tank running while she sat in the cold, dark house.
With that being said I have a 20kw generac whole house generator with transfer switch. It's not cheap but it is incredibly nice knowing that you will never be without power.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have had gas in my basement undisturbed for months at a time and I don't use any stabilizers. That is not the normal for me to store gas this long. If I hear of a storm coming I will go get gas so I have it on hand. If I think it's getting close to being no good I dumped it in my gas tank of my car. It will mix with the new gas and it will burn.
If your area is prone to power outages why wouldn't you get a bigger genny? Turn your lights on, turn your heater on, use the bathroom, cook, microwave, ect...

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two cents....... if you're away for extended periods....like you work 8-10 hours a day, I'd consider a whole house generator. It comes on automatically and will cover the tank and running pretty much everything in your house. The only issue is you wallet to cover the couple thousand to have it installed.

If you're around, and are willing to do the gas thing, I'd have to agree that you get what you need. A large generator consumes gas, and when Sandy hit NJ, gas was an issue because the gas stations didn't have the power to pump gas. We were without power for over seven days, and lucky for me I have a load of cars that I was able to siphon the gas from.

I have a 90g tank (and don't actually know my power usage) and have a 3650 watt generator that ran my entire tank, refrigerator, boiler, television and a couple lights for over seven days.

Generator Shed.jpg

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had gas in my basement undisturbed for months at a time and I don't use any stabilizers. That is not the normal for me to store gas this long. If I hear of a storm coming I will go get gas so I have it on hand. If I think it's getting close to being no good I dumped it in my gas tank of my car. It will mix with the new gas and it will burn.
If your area is prone to power outages why wouldn't you get a bigger genny? Turn your lights on, turn your heater on, use the bathroom, cook, microwave, ect...
Because I live where there are hurricanes and they knock out power for extended periods of time. I do not like having essentially a bomb in my garage with large amounts of gas. I am also now in an apartment and I REALLY don't like carrying gas for the generator here.

You can try to time storms, but if you have actually gone through a hurricane you quickly understand that EVERYONE is trying to get gas like you. Better to have it on hand before the storm than when it is rolling in.

OP
OP
M

muggle0981

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes id only be looking to keep it for a day or two

I wouldnt expect to be weeks without power as not normal for my location

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two cents....... if you're away for extended periods....like you work 8-10 hours a day, I'd consider a whole house generator. It comes on automatically and will cover the tank and running pretty much everything in your house. The only issue is you wallet to cover the couple thousand to have it installed.

If you're around, and are willing to do the gas thing, I'd have to agree that you get what you need. A large generator consumes gas, and when Sandy hit NJ, gas was an issue because the gas stations didn't have the power to pump gas. We were without power for over seven days, and lucky for me I have a load of cars that I was able to siphon the gas from.

I have a 90g tank (and don't actually know my power usage) and have a 3650 watt generator that ran my entire tank, refrigerator, boiler, television and a couple lights for over seven days.

Generator Shed.jpg
I would love to get a Generac and put it on the gas line. It is definitely hits you in the pocket book but if you can afford it is the bomb. When TX had the great freeze I was definitely jelous of the people with Generacs.

a hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If possible, the best generators are the natural gas whole home backup systems.

Yes, they are expensive. They also add value to your home in general. Plus they’re automatic.

when using a portable generator make sure it’s locked and secured. They’re loud and attract thieves.

Battery banks are cool, but impractical generally.

-Andrew

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to get a Generac and put it on the gas line. It is definitely hits you in the pocket book but if you can afford it is the bomb. When TX had the great freeze I was definitely jelous of the people with Generacs.
Where you live does have an inpact on what you need.
Gas is not a bomb, don't be afraid of it. It's a liquid, the liquid does not burn. The vapor burns and with a tight lid it is safe. Don't store it next to a heater.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gas is not a bomb, don't be afraid of it.
The vapor burns and with a tight lid it is safe. Don't store it next to a heater.
You need to better research. You should definitely fear and take precautions around gas ... IT IS DANGEROUS.

Yes the liquid burns, and the vapor burns even faster, so fast fact that it is explosive. How do you think that it works in your car?

Why you would say this is beyond my fathoming. I really hope that you don't store gas with this attitude you are going to hurt someone or destroy a lot of property.

Look up what happens when you store gas in containers that are air tight. You need special containers for this, especially in a non temp controlled environment.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 33 60.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back