Power head ate my Mollie

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dub
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Dub

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 21, 2019
Messages
179
Reaction score
91
Location
Sunrise Beach, TX
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m starting a new aquarium and after cycling the tank I put 2 Millie’s in it to test it Since then I have added 4 chromis and a clown. All appear to be doing fine after 2 weeks. Today I noticed one of the mollies were missing and upon searching the tank I it’s remains in the power head. Is this common and how do you avoid it with your expensive livestock? Thanks Dub
 
Sucks. I've noticed a few threads the last week or so about chopped up fish.
Depending on the model of powerhead, there's people who 3D print safety cages/screens for exactly this problem.
 
I believe one of the biggest issues I have seen with adding mollies to my experience is they aren’t used to flow. Mollies are pretty much raised in a low to none flow tank. When you put them in a saltwater aquarium where there is a constant turbulent flow, mollies can’t handle it, at least mine couldnt. My marine fish do perfectly fine. Due to them born and raised in higher flow habitat. This is also from my experience as I tossed to mollies in my aquarium to as which were dead within two days, both stuck to powerhead.
 
I’m starting a new aquarium and after cycling the tank I put 2 Millie’s in it to test it Since then I have added 4 chromis and a clown. All appear to be doing fine after 2 weeks. Today I noticed one of the mollies were missing and upon searching the tank I it’s remains in the power head. Is this common and how do you avoid it with your expensive livestock? Thanks Dub
Sorry for your loss, welcome to the forum though!
 
I believe one of the biggest issues I have seen with adding mollies to my experience is they aren’t used to flow. Mollies are pretty much raised in a low to none flow tank. When you put them in a saltwater aquarium where there is a constant turbulent flow, mollies can’t handle it, at least mine couldnt. My marine fish do perfectly fine. Due to them born and raised in higher flow habitat. This is also from my experience as I tossed to mollies in my aquarium to as which were dead within two days, both stuck to powerhead.
Thank you for the reply, Dub
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 23.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 25.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 3 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new