Power head recommendations (Budget-friendly)

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning a 29gal reef tank. I was wondering what are some good power heads. Will have 40-50 lbs of love rock and 2in sand bed. What are some recommendations. I was thinking two of these - (295gph model)

Are those good and will two of them, one at top right pointed slightly down and one bottom left angled up be sufficient?

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m planning a 29gal reef tank. I was wondering what are some good power heads. Will have 40-50 lbs of love rock and 2in sand bed. What are some recommendations. I was thinking two of these - (295gph model)

Are those good and will two of them, one at top right pointed slightly down and one bottom left angled up be sufficient?

Mine are all Aqua Clear as far as powerheads, 2 of them 20 + years which to me seems unreal ( probably jinx myself here lol)..... Then again my tank is a Marineland and has also treated me well for the 10 years + my first one....

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are all Aqua Clear as far as powerheads, 2 of them 20 + years which to me seems unreal ( probably jinx myself here lol)..... Then again my tank is a Marineland and has also treated me well for the 10 years + my first one....
Okay I’ll keep those in mind. Will 500-700 gph (between 2) in the placement I mentioned be good? I want corals and at least one anemone, and I know some of them like their flow

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I’ll keep those in mind. Will 500-700 gph (between 2) in the placement I mentioned be good? I want corals and at least one anemone, and I know some of them like their flow
Seems right on flow, but for your size, I might even consider one powerhead and 2 Hydor Coralia Nano heads. They are around 240 gph and will give you more distribution throughout the tank. If you find it too disruptive you can move them about or shut one off.
For reference I have a 90 gallon , 4 Hydor Nanos, 2 power heads, a submersible uv sterilizer that also creates flow and my skimmer output. I like the flexibility of more, so I can play with it a little.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems right on flow, but for your size, I might even consider one powerhead and 2 Hydor Coralia Nano heads. They are around 240 gph and will give you more distribution throughout the tank. If you find it too disruptive you can move them about or shut one off.
For reference I have a 90 gallon , 4 Hydor Nanos, 2 power heads, a submersible uv sterilizer that also creates flow and my skimmer output. I like the flexibility of more, so I can play with it a little.
Sounds good. I will be running a sump too so the return will cause some flow as well. Thank you!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back