Power out for 40 hrs. Tank temp down to 50.

kylef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here.. I feel your pain, hard seeing the fish coral and anemones you’ve raised all slowly freeze to death

Don_Jorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to be rude here or come off snarky this is an honest question. How do so many people not have a backup plan? Theres plenty of amazing technology available that is also more affordable than ever...cheap generators, amazing battery backups, and the most reliable news forecasting in world history as of 2021. Just to make a point i want to say i dont even feel bad for you. Obviously im just trying to make a point and i feel terrible for you. Best wishes
We're in south texas, this never happens here why would we have a back up plan for something like this?

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're in south texas, this never happens here why would we have a back up plan for something like this?

because sometimes things happen... why not prepare for them beforehand? Yes you might not get ice storms like this any time in the near future but you still get hurricanes down there. Or all it takes is someone to smash into a telephone pole and you could be without power for an entire day.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in North Texas and this never happens, I have a whole home generator. What’s your point?

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy am I lucky to live in Alaska our power outages only last about 30 minutes. I never understood why when a place like Texas gets a snow storm they loose power but here I can't ever recall loosing power in a storm, can someone please enlighten me?
Texas privatized there power grids. They are on their own. They are not even regulated by the federal government anymore. But because of this they cannot pull power from near by states. They essentially made themselves an island.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point is temperatures dont drop like that here, north what now? whats ur point?

North Texas*

My point is you can be prepared for something like this to the best of your ability, to keep your pets alive instead of thinking it never happens.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Didn’t this happen back in 2011? Maybe it was only north, don’t recall.

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to be rude here or come off snarky this is an honest question. How do so many people not have a backup plan? Theres plenty of amazing technology available that is also more affordable than ever...cheap generators, amazing battery backups, and the most reliable news forecasting in world history as of 2021. Just to make a point i want to say i dont even feel bad for you. Obviously im just trying to make a point and i feel terrible for you. Best wishes
Sorry if the other responses have stated this, but:

A cheap generator, even if he had it from the beginning, would not have changed anything. A heater is only able to raise a tanks temperature 10 degrees or so. The house temperatures in Texas right now are in the 40s, so the heater can barely get it to 50 or 60. At this point you need a whole house generator to power a whole house heating system ( or a non electric like natural gas), and then its no longer affordable, but many thousands of dollars.

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if the other responses have stated this, but:

A cheap generator, even if he had it from the beginning, would not have changed anything. A heater is only able to raise a tanks temperature 10 degrees or so. The house temperatures in Texas right now are in the 40s, so the heater can barely get it to 50 or 60. At this point you need a whole house generator to power a whole house heating system ( or a non electric like natural gas), and then its no longer affordable, but many thousands of dollars.
I beg to differ.. We have a troy bilt 10000watt portable generator we bought for 900 bucks from Home Depot... it runs the entire house including my 180 and her 100 gallon tank.

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
either way, nothing people can do about it now. No point in fighting or debating about it. Hopefully everyone going through this figures something to do with their tank and dont have to much losses

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I beg to differ.. We have a troy bilt 10000watt portable generator we bought for 900 bucks from Home Depot... it runs the entire house including my 180 and her 100 gallon tank.
$900 =/= cheap generator. But ok. I am only recounting first hand experience from another party, who said that even with a 500 or so watt generator, he couldn't keep a 90 gallon tank above 58 degrees with heaters.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you in Texas and the temperature inside your house is 40 to 50 degrees right now?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 61 32.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back